Monday, April 12, 2010

65th Bday, Steak Two Ways


Saturday was my father-in-laws 65th Birthday Party.  We celebrated at Jimmy's Steer House.  This place had AMAZING food. Up above is the birthday boy and the family and then myself and my sis Natalia.  For dinner, I ordered the teriyaki steak tips and the crabmeat pie.  It also came with Sweet Potato fries.  I only ate about two pieces of the steak and saved the rest for another meal (see below).
Cheers to the birthday boy! My hubby, Dave (standing), gave an amazing speech!
Sunday was spent resting and cooking.  I decided to make Butternut Squash Lasagna to bring to our friends Kerry and Jonathan's house for Sunday dinner.  They just moved into a new house and I wanted to give them a house-warming dinner.  Here's a step by step of how to make this meal!
Layer One: No-Boil Lasagna Noodles:
Layer Two: Two Cans of Diced Tomatoes, Swiss Chard, Onions, 1/2 Cup of Wine simmered together for 20 minutes
Layer 3: Feta Cheese
Layer 4: Roasted Butternut Squash Cut into pieces
Layer 5: Bechemel Sauce (4 Tablespoons of butter, melted in hot pan then whisk in flour, 1 cup of skim milk, 1 cup of cream, and 1 cup of cheddar cheese- whisk together until smooth and creamy, add salt and pepper to taste)
Then repeat and the final layer should be noodles, bechemel sauce and more cheese.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.  
Tonight I made Cheese-steaks with the leftover steak from Saturday.
I basically just diced the steak, cooked portobello mushrooms and onions until soft, added cheddar cheese to the bread, added the steak and mushroom mixture and broiled it until the cheese melted.  I served the sub with a salad and kale chips (of course!) After a night of a veggie-filled meal on Sunday, I think we ate enough meat tonight to last weeks.  Speed workout in the AM, good night!

2 comments:

  1. Girl.....I want to dive into that lasagna - looks amazing! Plus I LOVE all your kale dishes, they look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lasagna sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete