Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Three Days, Three Homecooked Meals

I've been quite the cook this week. Monday I made Mexican Crab and Shrimp Cakes with Remoulade Sauce and Corn Fritters. This recipe was adapted from my dear friend Gretchen who leaves for New Zealand on Saturday!!! She is going there to get married!! Lucky gal : ) Have the best time Gretchen, I will miss you!

Okay, on to my version of Mexican Crab and Shrimp Cakes
Ingredients
• 5 oz jumbo lump crab meat, picked over
• 10 ready to eat shrimp, cut in pieces
• 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
• 1/2 red pepper, finely diced
• 1/2 yellow pepper, finely diced
• 3 chopped green onions, divided
• 1/4 cup fresh homemade bread crumbs
• 2 Tbls mayonnaise
• 1 large tomato, diced
• juice of 1/2 lime
• canola for frying

* In a medium bowl, stir together crab and lobster meat, peppers, 1/2 diced jalapeno, and 1/2 chopped green onions. Add bread crumbs and stir to combine. Add mayonnaise and stir to combine. Add more mayonnaise if mixture seems dry.
* Form into 5 - 6 patties and lay on plate lined with parchment paper. Chill in fridge for about 30 minutes
* Meanwhile, combine the remaining jalapeno, and green onion in a small bowl with diced tomato and lime juice. Set aside to allow flavors to blend.
* Heat about 1 inch of canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat until very hot but not smoking
* Add crab and shrimp cakes to skillet and cook until golden, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook until golden on both sides
* Remove from pan and lay on paper towels to drain
* Top cakes with salsa fresca to serve

I also made the Remoulade Sauce that Gretchen raves about. Check her the link above for the recipe. I served the cakes on a bed of argula with Corn Fritters and leftover Seafood Paella I got at the Dolphin on Friday night.

In addition, I made Corn Fritters.
Ingredients:
* 1 cup flour
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup cream
* 2 cups of corn kernels
* 4 large scallions or green onions, finely sliced (about half a cup)
* Canola Oil

Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, ground coriander, and ground cumin in a medium bowl. Add egg, lemon juice and water. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add the corn, onions, and cilantro. Stir until just combined. Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat. Add enough oil to generously coat the bottom of the pan. When oil is hot spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons worth of fritter batter into the pan to form one fritter, patting it down with the back of the spoon as soon as it is in the pan. Work in batches. Leave about 1/2 inch between the fritters in the pan. Let cook about 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping the fritters when they are nicely browned on one side. When browned on the other side, remove the fritters to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess fat.

On Tuesday night, I made another dish I saw on Gretchen's blog: Savory Mozzerela Parmesan Pain Perdu with Poached Eggs.
Savory Parmesan Pain Perdu with Poached Eggs

adapted from Gourmet magazine and Gretchen's blog
6 1" slices baguette
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
pinch of nutmeg
3 large eggs, divided
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup mozzerela
  • Preheat oven to 400ยบ
  • Butter a shallow 1 quart baking dish
  • Arrange bread in single layer in dish
  • Whisk together 1 egg, milk, nutmeg, and salt and pepper
  • Pour custard over bread, then sprinkle with grated cheese
  • Let stand until absorbed, 15 - 30 minutes
  • Bake until puffed and golden, 20 -25 minutes
  • Meanwhile, poach eggs to desired doneness (I like firm whites and runny yolks)*
  • Divide pain perdu into 2 portions, and top with poached eggs
  • Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper
I served this along with an argula salad. I had never poached an egg before so I asked my good friend Google what to do. There were lots of options but I went with Mr. Breakfast.

Then last night, I made Cheesey Veggie filled Calzones with spruced up tomato sauce. Basically, I took out a saute pan, added some EVOO, an onion, peppers, spinach, brocolli, cauliflower and steamed/sauteed the veggies until they were cooked through. Then I took my store bough pizza dough and cut it in half and stretched each piece out. I added the veggies on one half, covered it with mexican blend cheese and pulled the other half over the first half and then weaved the dough over each other until enclosed. Then I did the same to the other half of the dough. I baked it at 400 for 25 minutes.
For the sauce, I added store bought tomato sauce to the leftover sauteed veggies and then added salt, pepper, oregano, italian seasonings and red pepper flakes and let the sauce reduce out while the calzones cooked.
So I've been busy this week in the kitchen!
Workouts:
Monday: PT, Ran 1.5 miles, eliptical, stair climber
Tuesday: Boot Camp
Wed: (soooo sore from boot camp still, took day off)
Thur: see Wed
Friday- I will be at PT to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment