Wednesday, January 20, 2010

RR Inspired Meals..

So I know most of you out there (whoever you are...anyone..?) probably dislike Rachael Ray, but you can't deny she comes up with some pretty tasty meals. I got "Everyday with Rachael Ray" magazine this month in my rotation (I subscribe through magazine hound so I get different magazines each month). So... there were tons of recipes I was excited to try out. Like this one:
Tuesday night I made my version of Shrimp and Corn Quesadillas with an Avocado Salsa, obviously inspired by RR.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup red onion + 1/3 cup of thinly sliced red onion for salsa
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt and pepper
1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
1/2 cup of green onions
1/2 1 small jalapeno, seeded
4 tablespoons of lime juice
8 small (low carb) wheat flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese (I used a mix blend)
2 avocados
Instructions:
Cook onions in hot skillet for five minutes. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Mix with corn, and peppers and saute for 5 minutes longer. Place tortilla on a grill pan, sprinkle a handful of cheese on one side, then add the shrimp filling and fold the other side of the tortilla over the filled side. After 3-5 minutes, flip then remove from heat and slice in half. Repeat until all the filling is finished. At the same time, take your avocados, 1/3 of red onion, other half of jalapeno, lime juice and salt and pepper and whirl it around in the food processor. Serve this on the side.
Tonight, I was inspired by another RR recipe (Shrimp and Andouille Stew). Although, I made Shrimp and Chicken Sausage Stew

Ingredients:
One package of spicy Italian Chicken Sausages, sliced crosswise 1 inch thick
1 onion, chopped
1 28 ounce can of tomatoes (or leftover home-made tomato sauce- we made lots on Sunday)
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup of banana peppers
1/2 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup of sliced tomatoes (I used Roma- only do this if you use tomato sauce)

Instructions:
In a medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and add the sausage and cook until browned. Add onions to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Add the tomato sauce, peppers, broth then bring to a boil, stirring often then lower the heat and simmer. Add shrimp at the end, once the stew has thickened and cook until no longer pink. Serve with cheese wedges (flour tortillas with cheese).


This was spicy deliciousness. Yum!

Onto workouts. I'm still not healthy. But yesterday I went to the gym in the AM and did 25 min on the eliptical and 10 minutes on the row machine. Then I lifted. This morning I went to Physical Therapy. I'm going to try to run tomorrow, wish me luck. Hopefully I won't be coughing up a lung or blowing my nose every other minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment