Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Yummy Food

Monday, our dinner was unblogworthy.  Tuesday, I used the leftover crab meat from here and jazzed it up a bit by making Crab Cakes and Crab Stuffed Zuchinni Boats.  There really isn't a recipe for this.  I took the crab mixture that I had leftover and added an egg and more panko and sauteed them in a hot skillet.  I pretty much followed Gretchen's recipe for the Zucchini Boats.  I also made Gretchen's Remoulade sauce.
In addition to this, I also made one of my favorite dishes my mom makes, her Leek Soup.  OMG the first time I tried this I was in love and I've been meaning to give it a try for weeks.  So even though I planned on making crab cakes last night, when I saw how snowy and gross out it was, I decided to make some hot soup as well.  Plus I felt bad that Dave had to go out not once but twice to shovel!  And I bought leeks at the grocery store this weekend and I'm not sure what I needed them for so it was a perfect excuse to try out my mom's soup!  Here is the recipe:


Leek Soup
Ingredients:
 2-3 chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
1 large onion chopped
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 small potatoes, diced
1 quart chicken stock
bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup milk or cream
 Instructions:
Melt butter in a sauce pan, add leeks and onions and saute until clear, add flour and mix, cook till light brown.  Add cold chicken stock slowly.  Cook for at least an hour. Use immersion blender, then add some milk or cream.  Add more salt and pepper if needed. 
 I know this doesn't look amazing, but trust me people, it was delicious!!!  I had the leftovers for lunch today.

Tonight I made Turkey Chili Burgers inspired by Ella Says Opa.
Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup drained and pinto beans, very slightly mashed
1 small onion, very finely minced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely minced
juice of 1/2 lime
1 teaspoon chili powder 

1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper
cheddar cheese

Arnold Wheat Thins
Instructions:
Combine first 9 ingredients.  Mix throughly with you hands and create 4-5 equal patties.
Grill or cook in a skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Add the same time, toast wheat thins with cheddar cheese until toasty and the cheese is melted.  
On the side I made Kale Chips (oh I've missed you!) and another Elly recipe: Mashed Pinto Beans with Bacon.  I'm going to warn you, my picture does not look attractive.  But trust me people, these were sooo good and I wish I made more.  I halved the recipe and used the other half of the can in the burgers.  I also used cheddar cheese instead of Manchego and cooked my bacon in the microwave instead of in the pan.  But wow, these were so tasty!
Night!

2 comments:

  1. You've been enjoying some great eats! I haven't had kale chips in a few months, and am totally craving them now :). My mom also makes a mean potato leek soup, and to me it is comfort food at its finest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked me leek soup. I want to try those turkey chili burgers, they look really good!

    ReplyDelete