Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentines Day Part 1

Tonight, I made the first of two Valentine's Day dinners.  I had planned my menu this morning but a lot depended on what they had at the grocery store.  Last year I showed up at 5pm on Valentine's Day and went to two grocery stores and no one had lobster or filets. But this year I was in luck!  Here are the recipes!


Thai Style Mussels
Ingredients:

5 pounds mussels (cleaned and debearded- Dave did this step)
2 tablespoons of lime juice
1/2 Container of Thai Coconut Curry Broth from College Inn
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 Large Tomato, Diced
1 cups Arugula

Instructions:
Scrub mussels well and remove beards. In a large pot, boil lime juice, broth, wine, curry paste, garlic, sweet and sour sauce, over high heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Add mussels, tossing to combine. Cook mussels, covered, stirring occasionally, until opened, about 5 to 8 minutes. (Discard any unopened mussels.) Add arugula on top of the mussels.
At this point I started boiling a gallon of water for our lobsters.  Then I got working on my Potato Risotto inspired by Bon Appetit.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Valentines Day! Great use for the thai coconut curry broth - I've seen it before but never bought it because I wasn't quite sure what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bro just called me today and said he was digging mussels this weekend and bringing a bunch when he came down tomorrow, I was actually checking to see if you had any recipes for mussles on here! You are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the mussels a few days ago - so delicious. I added some lite coconut milk to the broth right towards the end, and it worked really well. I bet it got close to what you had at the restaurant. Thanks for the recipe! :)
    Here is my post: http://www.healthyandsane.com/2011/03/cooking-mussels-at-home/

    ReplyDelete