Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Speed Wednesdays!

Hello!  Today I woke up and drove to a gym pretty close to my brother's apartment.  I am meeting my friend Remi for sushi so I wanted to have my car in the city.  So... I found a treadmill that is the same brand as my favorite (this gym has lots of them- mine only has two left!) and I got moving.  Workout was 5X800s with 400 rest.
Workout: 6 miles 58 minutes
2 miles Warmup at 6.1MPH 1.0 Incline
800: 3:43
400 Rest 5.0 Jog
800: 3:38
400 Rest 5.0 Jog
800: 3:35
400 Rest 5.0 Jog
800: 3:29
400 Rest 5.0 Jog
800: 3:25
1/2 Mile Jog Cooldown (time crunch!)

Overall, I felt pretty strong.  No complaints. I went to PT Monday and 4 miles Tuesday. I'm probably going to run pretty easy tomorrow and do weights and take Friday off.  Mike (my bro) and I are running 15 on Saturday. Okay, on to food!
Monday night I made Thai Red Curry Fish Cakes inspired by Cara's Cravings. 

Ingredients 
1 pound of haddock filets, skin removed
3 tbsp scallion
1 egg
1 tbsp prepared red curry paste
freshly ground salt
1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
2 tsp cornstarch
3 tsp panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
 
Directions 
Cut the fish into chunks and place in the food processor along with the onion, egg, curry paste, salt and pepper. Pulse to chop the fish and combine the ingredients. Add the red pepper, panko and cornstarch and pulse a few more times. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Use a scoop to drop equal portions of the fish mixture into the skillet, and flatten with the back of a spatula. Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
 I served this along with a sauce of Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey and Salt and Pepper.  Yum! In addition, I also finally used the rest of the Spaghetti Squash and made another one of the Cara's recipes! 

Spaghetti Squash and Feta Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash
1 tbsp corn meal
1 egg
salt and pepper
couple shakes of red pepper flakes
2 oz feta cheese
Instructions:
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Combine all ingredients and spoon onto skillet, about 1/3-1/2 cup per pancake. Cook gently until set on one side, about 10 minutes, then turn and finish cooking on the other side. 
And lastly, I made Kale Chips.  If you are new to my blog, I make Kale Chips by ripping the leaves off the core, putting the kale on a baking sheet, adding 1 tablespoon of Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil, sprinkling of salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, then using my hands to get in there and make sure each leaf gets some oil, and spices.  Then I bake them at 350 for 10-20 minutes until the edges start to brown but don't burn. Mmmmmm Kale Chips.
Tuesday night I wanted to make Caesar Salad with Arugula Pesto Chicken.  But my grocery store didn't have arugula which was fine because I bought spinach, BUT I thought I had anchovies at home for the caesar dressing, but I actually had sardines.  So I fail.  Instead, I made Pad Thai with Chicken.  I bought Pad Thai noodles so I figured why not?  I have still not even come close to mastering this dish.  It still tastes so much better at Thai food places, but I'm going to keep trying!  I basically just used the recipe on the back of the box with whatever veggies I had (mushrooms, garlic, onions, red pepper, broccoli) and sliced chicken and finished with some sesame seeds.  This was okay.  Not a fabulous meal- but some good fuel for my run this morning!  
Sushi for me tonight with Remi!  Cannot wait for the sushi and to see Rem!

1 comment:

  1. I think I am like the only blogger who hasn't made kale chips. Need to try those! Glad you liked the cakes!

    ReplyDelete