Sunday, February 13, 2011

Runner Blog Friends

I fee VERY lucky that I've met some running buddies who also share my interest in blogging.  Meeting Becky, Corey and Lauren really felt like meeting old friends.  Because we read each others blogs we felt like we already knew each other.  All three of these girls are training for marathons and we had planned to all run together this weekend because its a cutback week for them.  Before I talk about the run I want to first backtrack to Thursday night.
 Us four plus Lauren's boyfriend got together to see Hood to Coast at Fenway theater in Boston.  It was an interesting film following four different teams on their quest to cross the finish line at the most prestigious relay race of the year.  Hood to Coast is also the very FIRST relay ever created.  My track team from American University has been trying to get into this race for two years with no luck.  It is extremely hard to get into.  I ran one relay- Ragnar Relay and I loved the experience but I think the lack of sleep, long distances cut into 3 legs and the rain contributed to my injuries and led me to deferring the NY 2009 Marathon.  I would totally do another race IF I wasn't training for a half or full marathon.  I personally think its not the smartest to do these relays while training for a marathon.  Although I felt like Ragnar was poorly run in its inaugural year for New England, I did love the camaraderie you form with your teammates.  I mean there was a time when my favorite part about track was the relays!  So... I may be convinced to run another (Lauren and Becky!!)
Okay, now on to today.  Becky, Lauren, Corey and I met at my office in downtown Boston.  The plan was to do 12 together but Becky and I both knew there was good chance we would fall behind our 3:20 marathon friends.  We were all running pretty well together and I was having a ton of fun.  But then we kept running into really REALLY icy patches on the river which made me extra cautious.  If you didn't know this already, I'm incredibly clumsy and always fall while running!
 (PS- first time running with a camera- not sure I would do it that often) 
When we turned to Memorial Drive I fell pretty hard on my butt.  Yep, of course I did.  After that Becky and I took it slower on the icy parts and Lauren and Corey pushed ahead.  Then about a mile later, I fell again on my left side.  At that point Becky and I decided to walk on the icy parts/run in the street. 
 We also hit my office at 10.25 miles and decided that was enough for today.  We ran just over 10 miles at 9:30 pace including all the walking on the ice.  I try to never shut off my watch while running because you can't turn off the clock in a race- so we definitely had some 11 minute miles!  But overall, I'm pretty proud of us.

After the run, Becky, Lauren and I went to Wagamamma for lunch.  Corey had to go home and work on applications : ( Spicy Carbs and Raw Juices= perfect recovery! I ordered the Raw Juice which had  a mixture of carrot, cucumber, tomato, orange and apple.
For lunch I got the Yuki Udon.  It was perfectly spicy and just what I was craving! I only ate half- there was so much.
 It was an awesome day with my favorite on-the-run girls and Corey!  I hope we run together a lot more!
Sorry, I sort of love this picture : )
 Now lets chat about my weekly recap!

 Weekly Recap of Workouts:
Monday 2/7: 
Lifted Weights at home
Tuesday 2/8:
Speed Workout, 6 miles (9:22 pace) 55:50
1 mile warmup- 6.2 mph, 1.0 incline
800: 3:59
1.5 minute rest
800: 3:52 (7.4-7.6)
1.5 min rest
800: 3:46 (7.6-7.8)
1.5 min rest
400: 1:42
400 jog rest
800: 3:38 (7.8-8.0)
1.5 min rest
800: 3:43 (7.5-8.2)
1.25 mile cooldown (this was HARD!!!)
Wednesday 2/9: 
Physical Therapy
30 min of stim, lifted legs
Thursday 2/10:
Ran 4 miles during lunch in 34:15
Friday 2/11: 
day off
Saturday 2/12:
day off
Sunday 2/13:
10.25 miles, 1:37:46, 9:33 pace
8:50, 9:22, 9:03, 9:15, 11:59, 9:21, 11:17, 9:15, 9:32, 9:55, 8:59

Total: 3 days running, 20.25 miles, 1 Day of Lifting, 3 Days off
 Biggest Loser update- Down 4 pounds!! Down 2% Body Fat!

PS- I already cooked Part I of Valentine's Day dinner last night- Lamb Chops!  Tomorrow I am making Filet Mignon. For the rest of the week, I am making booorggers (who gets that reference- gotta love my Fabio).  Not just any burgers- tons of veggie burgers! Stay tuned!

Do you like running/working out with friends?

18 comments:

  1. When I studied abroad in London in college, I was obsessed with Wagamama. I wish they had it here in Atlanta.

    I only really have one running friend and I do like running with her. I have other friends that run, but they don't run at my same pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad I couldn't stay for lunch (but thank goodness I got a lot done today). The pics are so cute! I had SO much fun with you girls!! I totally feel like we've known each other for so much longer. I still can't believe you fell 3 times - I hope you don't end up with some bad bruises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun to have blog running buddies that become real life buddies! You did awesome on your long run...actually the entire week!!

    YOu all are adorable--love the pics to show us where you ran! Can't believe you braved running on ice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I already said this, but today's run was my favorite training run all season! I had so much fun! We need to run together more often. I am excited for Hyannis.

    I love that last picture, too. It definitely captured the day perfectly. Hope you took a hot bath tonight and are feeling good in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a fun run! Glad you've made such amazing friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for blog/running friends! Runs go by so much faster with great company. And looking forward to delicious food helps too :) Nice workout week - keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww looks like you guys had a blast!! I think I need to get my speed up there before I try to run with any other bloggers! You guys are speed demons compared to me :) Plus I'm not hardcore enough to brave the icey roads haha! But I am totally missing running outside!! I'm thinking this week should be great to melt some snow and hopefully get outside next Saturday!

    I LOVE lamb...good choice! Can't wait to see your veggie burgers! and 4lbs is AWEOMSE!

    Happy Valentines Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome run with friends! I applaud your for braving the icy patches, I would be on my booty every couple of steps. Can't wait to see what you cook up for Valentine's Day! I also love top chef. I can hear Fabio saying booorgers in my head but out of my mouth, it doesn't come out so right :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO FUN!! I miss our runs together :( Great work on the biggest loser!! Also, I really want to do one of those relays this summer since I won't be training for a marathon, let me know if you get a team together :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like you had a great week, how fun! by the way, your blog header is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that last picture too! I usually run alone, but just because I'm terrible at scheduling things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, nice healthy lifestyle of yours. Having exercise then eat healthy food like yuki udon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all, don't even put that out into the universe unless you really mean it. Becky and I will hunt you down. ;)

    It really was so fun to run with you this weekend! Despite the crazy icy patches, I had such a fun run and really enjoyed being outside. It felt more relaxing than my long runs have in a long time. Hopefully we can do it again soon!!

    And I love that last picture too. So cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no, I'm so sorry you slipped on the ice. You guys are awesome for running in those conditions. Looks like such a blogger, runner fun-filled weekend :)
    And I am way too scared to ever run with a camera. I'm clumsy enough as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this post! such a cute running date! I love running with friends! I miss it! Can't wait til I'm back in the Bean!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hehe, booorgers. I got it ;)
    Also, I'm incredibly jealous of your run. I need to find running buddies that are on my level. I used to LOVE running with friends but now I'm so slow. :( Want to do 6 miles today (haven't run that far in 9 monhts!!) and I'm nervous/procrasting. I hope I actually do it. I know I'll feel beyond guilty if I don't (and it's supposed to be a really nice day for a run!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It really is nice to see there are a lot of us crazies out running (and biking and swimming) around when we are not consumed by projects in the kitchen! Looks like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks like such a fun day, besides your falls, ouch! i love wagamama and need to get back there!!

    ReplyDelete