Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cook Once, Eat Twice

Best expression ever! On Monday, I cooked all the fillets I sliced of the Salmon that I prepped on Sunday. I preheated the oven to 375 and poured the mustard glaze over the salmon in a glass baking dish. The mustard glaze was made of:
1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
1/2 Cup of Honey
couple splashes of Sricha
a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar
On the side I made Creamy Kale by taking 3 cups of Kale and sauteing it in a skillet with a little EVOO. Once wilted, I added a handful of Mexican blend Cheese, a tiny bit of cream, a little veggie broth and some banana peppers and some S &P. This is seriously so addicting. Actually, I have some leftover for lunch today! I also served the Salmon with Uncle Ben's microwavable Jasmine Rice and of course more mustard glaze!

So, because I made a pound and a half of Salmon or about 6 small fillets, I had lots leftover. After the fish cooled, I flaked it off the skin into a glass bowl for Tuesday nights dinner of Asain Salmon Cakes. But we'll save that recipe for later in the blog entry. After we enjoyed dinner, I got to work on baking. I had two completely ripe bananas so I wanted to make some Banana-Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from this recipe. I made 1 dozen of these cookies.
The recipe called for two dozen, so I decided to make a twist on the classic Hershey Kiss Peanut Butter Blossom. (I actually set out to make those, but realized I didn't have shortening... could I have just used butter?) So instead, I made up a Lizzy recipe. I added to the Oatmeal Banana Mix another tablespoon of butter, a large scoop of peanut butter and a minuture scoop of Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter. Then I mixed it with my hand mixer (thanks Carissa) and formed the cookies. I cooked them for about 15 minutes, then placed the kisses in the center. Both of these cookies were pretty good, but tasted healthy- like there wasn't enough sugar....

Now on to last night's dinner. I decided to make both the Salmon Cakes I had planned, as well as the dinner I had planned to make Wednesday. Sometimes it's easier to cook once and eat twice, especially since tonight I don't have to cook!

So first the Salmon Cakes.

  • 2 cups leftover coarsely flaked salmon
  • 2 tablespoons homemade bread crumbs
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin, mustard powder, onion powder
  • 6 tablespoons light mayonnaise, divided
I took the flaked over salmon and combined it with the ingredients listed above. Then I added the cakes to a hot skillet and cooked for 3-5 minutes on each side. I made more honey mustard sauce and put that sauce on the Arnold Wheat Thin with some Argula.

For a side, I made my quick version of Creamed Corn. Used a bag of Steamed Frozen Corn that I steamed in the microwave then added it to a hot skillet and combined 1/8 Cup of cream with 1/8 cup of sour cream with salt and pepper.
In the skillet next to the cakes, I prepared Steak Tips with a Mushroom, Leek Cream Sauce.


Ingredients:
• 1 and a half pounds of sirloin steak tips, marinated with S &P and Teriyaki Sauce for 24 hours
• 1 container of portabella mushrooms, slives
• 4 Leeks, White and Light Green parts only
• 3/4 cup of Veggie Broth
• teaspoon of Thyme
• 1/2 Cup of Sour Cream
• 2 tablespoons of Dijon

First I added 1 tablespoon of EVOO to a hot skillet and added the marinated meat and cooked for 6 to 8 minutes until browned. Then I transfered the meat to a serving bowl and covered with foil. I then added the mushrooms and leeks to the skillet and cooked until soft. Then I added the broth, thyme and salt and pepper and let it reduce. Finally, I lowered the heat and added in the sour cream and mustard and poured it over the meat.

We will enjoy this tonight with the Couscous I made... yum.

Workouts
Monday- PT was great, wish I was going to this guy the whole time. I think I will definitely be injury free in a month with all the excercises, stim, heat, icing I am doing!
Tuesday- work was too busy so I skipped boot camp
Wednesday- PT in the AM with eliptical and stairclimber intervals.

My physical therapist wants me to try running this weekend. Just ten minutes around a track but he wants me to feel it out. Pretty excited about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment