Monday, October 12, 2009

Wedding Weekend

Stephanie and Mike got married!! It was an absolutely beautiful New England fall day and an amazing wedding. Stephanie absolutely glowed. Check her out!
Her colors was so pretty and blended perfectly with a New England fall theme. I loved the dresses! For dinner, I got filet and it was delicious and perfectly cooked.Overall, Stef's wedding was so much fun and I was so happy to be part of it!

Sunday, Dave and I spent the whole day recovering. And I mean the WHOLE day. I think I slept for 12 hours. Then today, I got to work doing things I should have done the day before. I cleaned, grocery shopped and cooked. I decided to make Chicken Pot Pie, Rainbow Swiss Chard and M&M Blondies. All of these recipes were inspired by this month's Everyday Food.

Ingredients:
-3 T of butter
- 1 onion, diced
-20 baby carrots, chopped
-1 cup of portobello mushrooms, sliced
-1/2 cup of flour
-S&P
-3 cups of chicken broth
-3 cups of cooked chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
-1 cup of frozen peas
-1/2 teaspoon of thyme
-1 frozen puff pastry
-1 egg

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350. In a skillet, melt butter and add onion, carrots and mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add flour and salt and stir until the mixture resembles a thick oatmeal. Then add broth while whisking until mixture thickens then reduce to a simmer and cook for ten minutes then add the chicken, peas, thyme and more S &P. Divide mixture into small baking dishes and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Roll out puff pastry with some flour and cut into 4 equal pieces. Lay over the top of the baking dishes and make four slits with a knife. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

I gotta tell you, Chicken Pot Pie was never my favorite. I always thought it was really bad for you. But this version was quite healthy! What makes the sauce so thick is the flour : )

I also made Rainbow Swiss Chard combining chard, EVOO, S&P, chopped bacon and Balsamic Vinegar.
And I made Blondies! I halved this recipe and instead of just brown and orange M&Ms, I used all of them as well as some chocolate chips. Martha hasn't posted the recipe I just noticed. Its in the latest version of Everyday Food.
_______________
Running Update:
I woke up this morning and my leg FELT a lot better, meaning there wasn't much pain going down stairs. So I figured I might as well lace up and see how I feel. I set out to do 10 miles. I got through 7. The first five felt okay. Then I had to walk and I began to feel the achilles tightness pain on every step. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow but running the race doesn't seem realistic considering I only have two weeks left and I still can't run more than 5 miles AND I haven't done a 20 miler yet. Not so happy on that front : (

No comments:

Post a Comment