Friday, October 16, 2009

Kale, Squash Both Two Ways

So on Wednesday night, I made Crab, Corn and Butternut Squash Chowder inspired by this recipe, but see below for my take. It was a really thick, tasty and filling soup that I loved! In addition, I roasted a spaghetti squash and I made two different kinds of Kale. My Kale chips that I eat all the time and my new favorite- Spicy Creamed Kale.

Crab, Corn and Butternut Squash Chowder

Ingredients:
-2T of vege oil
-1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into small pieces
-1 medium onion, chopped
-1 box of thawed corn
- a palmful or two of curry powder
- 1/2 a cart of veggie stock or enough to cover the squash
-1/2 cup of light cream
-1/2 cup of crab and seafood stuffing (bought from the seafood aisle)
-Kale for garnish

In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high; add squash and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Add corn and curry powder; cook until curry is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and crab mizture and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. Using a hand immersion blender, blend soup until smooth, leave some chunks. Return to pot and stir in cream; heat through over medium-low. Then add in the Kale and enjoy.

Spicy Creamed Kale

Saute Kale on hot skillet with EVOO. Once it has strarted to wilt, add a half cup of mexican blend shredded cheese, chicken broth, light cream and banana peppers. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.

Dave loved this!

Last night, I had grand intentions of making Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Goat Cheese and Pesto along with taking the Spaghetti Squash I made the night before and mixing it with S&P and Monterey Jack Cheese. But, instead I decided to go out for some cocktails with my department. After I left the bar, I went to 711 and picked up some water. Then I decided it would be a grand idea to eat a bag of Cool Ranch Dirotos. Bad Liz. When I got home at 9, I was pleased to see that Dave enjoyed the burgers. (I had cooked the mushrooms the night before and left a meal kit - leaving the goat cheese, pesto, arnold wheat thins and mushrooms together- so he could make it himself.) He left me one, but I passed and decided to go with the Spaghetti Squash instead. Which I heated up in the microwave with cheese and s&p. Delicious! Then off to bed I went. I had PT this morning and its going well but I am have decided to switch to another office closer to my office that has more morning hours. The guy I am seeing on Monday specializes in Marathon runners so I'm excited to hear what he has to say. I'm psyched about my plan though. Taking a whole month + off from running will allow me to love it again and get excited about training. Okay, off to lunch- ps- it's snowing?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment