Saturday, September 5, 2009

Vacay Week

We just got back from our Cape Cod Vacation Week! What a week. Saturday and Sunday started off really rainy but the rest of the week turned out gorgeous. Before we left on Saturday, Nancy, Laryssa and I ran 16 miles in the pouring rain. It was pretty fun to run in the rain. Saturday night, Dave and I went to Oysters Too and got Oysters Rockefeller, Clam Chowder and I got a Baked Shrimp and Scallop Dish. The Clam Chowder was rich and creamy and the oysters were perfect! I ate like two bites of my main dish, I was so full... it was okay, nothing special.

On Sunday, Dave and I woke up and ran... in the rain again! We ran a route down to the water and it ended up being 6.5 miles. Further than Dave's ever ran before, which he says is easy at my pace. The pic above is how soaked I was after the run! For breakfast, I made bagel sandwiches with eggs, cheese, bacon on a delicious bagel from the bagel shop in our town. We pretty much ate these bagel sandwiches everyday... hey we were on vacation!

Around lunchtime, best friend Courtney came down and we watched a couple episodes of Mad Men. By the end of the week, Dave and I finished Season 1. Here we are hanging out:

Then for dinner, we went to the Flying Bridge and got three apps and tasty drinks: lobster quesidillas, clam chowder, mussels and fried calamari. I loved the lobster quesidillas but no one else did. The chowder and the mussels were so good. The calamari was way too well fried....
Monday we went to the beach and it was sunny for the first hour then very cloudy for the rest of the day so we went back and watched more Mad Men. Then Dave and I picked up some live lobsters and got cooking!
We had some fun with the not so lively lobsters on the deck then we boiled quarts of water with tons of salt, shallots and pepper. When the water was boiled, we said goodbye to the little guys and boiled them away for 8 minutes. I also made mashed potatoes, corn on the cob and salad. It was a lovely lobster dinner and a quarter of the price of going out for lobster!


Tuesday, my mom came down and we went to the beach. Tuesday was probably the best day of the week. Absolutely gorgeous weather!For dinner, we went to a place called Fireflys, which was highly recommended but deeply dissappointing.. I got clam chowder and my mom and I spilt Pecan Crusted Dijon Salmon. Sounds good right? Well the clam chowder was gritty and way too thick. And the Salmon tasted like Mustard with no crunch whatsoever of pecans. Oh well....
After the dinner, we went to the Lighthouse and saw beautiful sunsets. It was gorgeous and we got tons of beautiful pictures.


Wednesday morning, we ran our 6 mile loop, then headed all the way up to Wellfleet to check out the beautiful beaches. We went to Cahoon Hollow and the Beachcomber. First we ate. We ordered a Lobster Roll and Fried Clams, Clam Chowder and Sam Summers. The lobster roll was perfection. More lobster and not a ton of mayo. The fried clams were amazing. Fried and delicious. And the cup of chowder was made perfectly- the right balance of clams and cream. And we had to enjoy Sam Summers, some places have already stopped serving them!


And then we walked down the sand dune to the beach...


Another gorgeous day in the sun! When we got home, we were exhuasted so I made chicken with my spicy avocado dip and I threw it in between an Arnold Wheat Thin. Also served it with corn and a salad.


Thursday, we ran a solid 1.5 miles around the block, then headed to the local beach. I guess we weren't in the mood to run! But the views were beautiful.

Thursday night Dave's parents came down and we went back to the Flying Bridge. We got more Mussels and Clam Chowder and I ordered Crab Cakes for dinner.

Dave ordered Chiopino and it looked delicious! I got a couple bites.
The next morning, we all woke up and I made a huge breakfast with eggs, bacon, cheese and bagels.
Then we went to Martha's Vineyard for the day and on the boat I saw this pirate ship!! Okay, okay... it wasn't a pirate ship...
When we got to Edgartown, we went to the place we got engaged!
On May 25, 2007, we got engaged at this Waterfall!
Then we walked over to the Seafood Shanty and got some lovely seafood!
Dave got a lobster roll and I got a grilled salmon sandwich that was amazing! We spilt each in two so we both had a little of both.
We walked around for a bit then headed back to the Cape. We dropped off Dave's parents and then headed to the beach. After we got back, we got ready and headed to Main Street. I really wanted to try out Roo Bar and it did not dissappoint. It was my kind of resturant. Classic food paired with modern ingredients in a very trendy environment.

For starters, we had some bread with hummus and I ordered a Champagne.

Then we ordered the BEST MUSSELS I've ever had. They were thai mussels that was mixed with coconut, lemongrass, ginger and I have no idea what else. It was very good and I wanted to drink the broth, I swear!
Dave and I also ordered a nice Summer Salad with Goat Cheese, strawberries and pecans.
And for dinner, we shared the Lobster Pizza. Wow, what a meal!
Today, we went to the beach for one last day in the sun. And now we are home watching guess what? Season 2 of Mad Men. It's addicting...

long run in the AM... good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment