Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Breakfasts of Champions

If I had my way, I would eat a NY bagel with tons of cream cheese everyday of the week.  But well, since I'm not an IRONMAN, that isn't exactly realistic in my diet.  So I try to supplement my love of bagels {and bacon and cheese} with healthy breakfasts I can eat during the work week.  You already know I love my baked banana oatmeal... well recently I made Oatcakes, inspired from my new Super Natural Everyday Cookbook by Heidi Swanson.
Oatcakes
Ingredients:
2 cups of rolled oats
1.5 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of flax meal
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup of Earth Balance
3/4 cup of maple syrup
1/4 cup of sugar
2 eggs
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.  Combine the oats, flour, baking powder, salt, and flax in a large bowl.  In the book you are supposed to {combine the coconut oil, earth balance, maple syrup and sugar in a saucepan and let it slowly melt together}.  I totally skipped this step.  My coconut oil was already liquid because it's summer and I melted the earth balance and stirred those ingredients together.  Then I poured the coconut mixture over the oat mixture.  Last I added the mashed banana and stirred it all together.  Then spoon the dough into the muffin cups, almost filling them.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges of each oatcake are lightly brown.  Remove from pan and pack away for weekly breakfasts!
I will tell you guys that I thought these were awfully doughy.  I used a half cup less flour and 1 cup less oats then what was originally called for and I still felt like they were a bit doughy but still a good breakfast!  I bring all 12 of these guys in on Monday and eat them throughout the week for breakfast!
The other recipe I'm loving lately is an adapted Zucchini Muffin recipe from All Recipes.  My friend Lisa made these and brought them in and they were delicious.  So she sent me the recipe so I could make them myself.  When I looked at the recipe I saw this: 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of white sugar and 1.5 cups of flour.  That's not healthy enough for me so I adapted it : )  And I'm happy to say they are just as good and do easy to make!

Zucchini Muffins:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of white flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon, cardamon, cloves)
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 cup of canola oil
1/2 cup of sugar
1.5 cups of grated zucchini
2/3 cup of chopped walnuts
Instructions:
Spray 1 12 cup muffin pan and preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Combine flour, salt, baking powder, soda and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl.  Beat eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar together then add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well.  Stir in zucchini and nuts until well incorporated. Pour into muffin pan and cook for 20-30 minutes, checking often.
I've been enjoying these all week and loving every delicious bite.  I think this is the perfect breakfast or snack to get you through the workday.

And lastly, my favorite breakfast that utilizes the goodies I got while in Portland, Maine over the weekend at Stonewall Kitchen: Wild Maine Blueberry Jam and Syrup.  
Clearly, I just had to make pancakes.  Thank goodness for Trader Joe's Multigrain Baking & Pancake Mix.  Pancakes on a weekday, in a flash.  Along with following the recipe on the box, I also used a spoonful of jam and a handful of blueberries from my CSA.
mmmm, this is the best syrup I've ever had.  I love you Stonewall Kitchen!
So there you have it.  Three healthy breakfasts that you don't have to feel guilty about.

What's your favorite {healthy} breakfast that isn't oatmeal or yogurt?  
{Did I mention I don't like either of those... I know I know, I shouldn't be a food blogger!}

13 comments:

  1. Well, you probably won't like it since you don't like oatmeal or yogurt, but I'm into overnight oats right now! I do also love puffins cereal. Sometimes I eat picky bars for breakfast, too, with some fruit on the side...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oatcakes sound like really healthy banana muffins - I think I would like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE blueberry pancakes. They are my absolute favorite, but I usually just eat them when I'm out to brunch or visiting family. Lately I have sprouted grain toast wtih PB and cream cheese topped with fruit. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see breakfast on your blog!! :) The muffins and baked oatmeal both look awesome. It is nice to have breakfast premade to grab and go...I think I will need to do that more often once I start school again.
    My favorite non-oatmeal breakfast is protein pancakes, and my microwave muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had that syrup! It's so good. When I was in high school I used to eat kale and lentils for breakfast. That doesn't happen anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oy I have no idea when the last time I had a bagel was...but I do love them! I think I'd love these healthy breakfasts even more though, especially those fab pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great ideas! Those oatcakes look pretty yummy and would make great quick breakfasts for when I go back to work (teaching) in a few weeks.

    I'm not a big fan of yogurt either. I try to love it, but it's just kind of icky to me. So, for protein in the mornings, I'll do eggwhites and turkey sausage patties on English muffins, a smoothie, or maybe even a stick of string cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. one thing i love about triathlons/racing is that the morning before i get to eat delicious pancakes! i love me some pumpkin or banana walnut or blueberry. the bfasts you posted look amazing! i usually eat scrambled eggs and an english muffin or greek yogurt with berries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm usually a Greek yogurt and fruit lady but these are great ideas as the weather starts to cool. I've also gotten into a "healthy" egg sandwich - one egg on a toasted sandwich thin topped with a wedge of babybel cheese. It's a good fake out when you want something more substantial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those look heavenly! thank you for sharing! xo

    christine
    www.thesehappymiles.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The oatcakes look delicious - I also may have to try to use all the zucchini I keep getting in my CSA for baking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sound of all of these!! But honest question - are the muffins filling?? I get so hungry for breakfast so I'm just curious if this would fill me up?

    Thanks for the new breakfast ideas though! I have to admit that these days, I'm getting sick of having oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete