Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Eggplant Po' Boys- CSA Week 7

I made one of the most interesting meals I think I've ever made on this blog. Last night I made Eggplant Po' Boys.  
If you are interested in what a Po' Boy is, it's "a traditional submarine sandwich from Louisiana.  It almost always consists of MEAT, usually a roast, seafood, usually fried and served on a baguette-like Louisiana French Bread." (thanks wikipedia)


I've made a Shrimp Po' Boy before, but I think I've found my new favorite.  Eggplant Po' Boy is where it's at people.  Trust me on this one.


I originally saw this recipe while searching "eggplant" on pinterest.  What I got was a link to a blog called "What the hell does a vegan eat anyway."  I liked her recipe, but in true Lizzy fashion, I kept digging for more recipes that sang out to me.  In the end, I mixed several recipes into one.  But the steps were pretty much the same.  Slice eggplant, fry eggplant, make a remoulade, make a slaw, combine on hearty bread. Eat.  Enjoy.
Here's my recipe:
I took inspiration from: Gourmet, Nibble-dish, Vegan Menu
Eggplant Po' Boy
Ingredients:
1 cup or so of vegetable oil (for frying)
1 eggplant, washed and diced (I used three skinny japanese eggplants)
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons creole seasoning
2 tsps. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup {your favorite} milk
1 egg or 2 egg whites
1 tomato, sliced
2 cups brocolli slaw mix
1/2 jalapeno, diced
1 cucumber, diced
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of dijon
1 baguette, sliced into 2 large sandwiches
1 plain chobani yogurt mixed with lots of creole seasoning and pepper- or you could use mayonanisse.. but remember I have a fear...
Instructions:
Slice up the eggplant, sprinkle slices with salt and place in a colander to drain for an hour (I skipped this step, but I was also using japanese eggplants!) If using Japanese eggplants, omit this step. While waiting for the eggplant, prep everything else. Heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Combine flours, creole seasoning, salt and pepper in a long shallow bowl or plate. Mix together the  milk, water and eggs in a plate.  Rinse the salt off the eggplant and pat dry. Organize your breading station by having eggplant, flour mixture and egg mixture.  Then dredge an eggplant slice through the flour on both sides. Dip into the wet mix. Shake. Dredge through flour again on both sides. Then drop your eggplant pieces in the hot oil.  (I needed help at this point, so Dave fried while I prepped- we made a good team).  After the eggplants were fried, I got to work on the other stuff.  To make the remoulade I mixed plain chobani yogurt with creole seasoning and pepper.  For the slaw, I combined vinegar with dijon, added in the vegetables and mixed it up.  Then I built the sandwiches.  First the sauce, then the slaw, then the fried eggplant. Eat it up.  Enjoy.
See Dave liked it!


 Let's put this in the category of definitely the most interesting and different meal I've made on the blog so far.  What can I say, I like to push the envelope : )
Moving on... CSA Week 7!
Corn, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Arugula, Potatoes, Zucchini, Summer Squash, Eggplant and Green Peppers.

Can you believe this is just a half share?

What's the craziest vegetarian meal you've ever made?

15 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I just got a TON of eggplant in my CSA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're always so creative with your recipes. My goal is still to have you cook for me one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love eggplant and can you believe while in Louisiana I didn't have a Po Boy?! I had every intention to but then time got away from me. anyways, great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh - po' boys...brings me back to my Southern roots where I loved myself a good shrimp po-boy.

    I'm not much of a cook - your website its giving me ideas -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been getting a lot of eggplant and this looks like such a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fabulously decadent! I think I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delish! Thanks for sharing!
    jillrunsforsanity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing!!! Seriously. Please come stay with me for just a week and teach me how to cook like you! I've never had a po' boy before but I want this one!

    Also - I didn't realize your CSA veggies were only half a share! That's amazing. My half is so lame compared to all that you get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh, i hope i get lots more eggplant, b/c i totally want to try this :) have been waiting to check it out since you tweeted! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, I love eggplant - what a creative sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looove this idea! I am a sucker for almost any sandwich, and eggplant is delicious. Your CSA posts are so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fried or roasted eggplant is seriously delicious. These sandwiches look awesome. Yay for vegetarian :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just had a scallop po' boy on Sunday, which was served with truffle aoili. The scallops were a little too fried for my liking but I loved the combo. Cheesecake Factory actually used to make shrimp po' boys that were my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Push that envelope all you want, especially when it comes to eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made a vegan Moussaka from the Veganomicon cookbook. Tons of work but totally delicious. Made with potatoes, eggplant, and zucchini with a homemade tomtao sauce and topped with a cream sauce made from tofu and pine nuts. My family was skeptical but everyone went back for seconds.

    ReplyDelete