Friday, August 5, 2011

Zucchini Recipes-CSA Week 6

What a week!  I'm sorry I've been so MIA.  I have so many things to blog about and such little time. I've been quite the busy Lizzy!!! Let's recap and show you Week 6 of my CSA and the creative recipes that followed : )
CSA Week 6!
In the mix: Cucumbers, Blueberries, Green Beans, Lettuce, Corn, Summer Squash, Red Potatoes, Arugula, Swiss Chard and Zucchini.


And I still had tons of zucchini from last weeks CSA!  So I definitely wanted to make creative zucchini and summer squash recipes which I accomplished.  This week I made- Zucchini Enchiladas,  Zucchini Lasagna and Thai Squash Curry. Oh and I made all of these dishes on Sunday and Monday.  Because for the rest of the week, I worked past dinner.  I should have made dinners for the entire week and pulled an Elina so my husband would have meals to eat but too late now : (
Zucchini Enchiladas
Zucchini Lasagna
Summer Squash Curry
The enchiladas were definitely my favorite- but its nearly impossible to go wrong with lasagna.  


I saw this recipe on pinterest and I knew I had to make it.  I love spicy enchiladas!!


Zucchini Enchiladas
Inspired by SkinnyTaste via Pinterest
Ingredients: 
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 medium scallions, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 medium zucchinis, grated
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 cups grated reduced fat mexican blend cheese
4 Large Whole wheat flour tortillas
1 cup of enchilada sauce (storebought- what I used, or make your own)
Instructions:
Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray. Add store bought enchilada sauce to the bottom of the baking dish. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium nonstick skillet, sauté garlic and scallions in olive oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes; add zucchini, salt and pepper to taste and cook about 4-5 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add zucchini mixture to tortilla, add mexican blend cheese on top.  Enclose and put in your dish, seem side down.
Repeat 4X.  Add more enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle more cheese.  I also added leftover filling on top.
Bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melty and delicious! Spinkle green onions and cilantro on top.
My opinion on this dish: I'm pissed I only made four of them.  These were sooooo super delicious.  I love cheesy vegetarian dinners : )




My zucchini lasagna was also delicious, but it didn't photograph as well as I would have hoped.  I served it with a swiss chard salad- one I tried to mimic from the other night at Canary Square!
Zucchini Lasagna
  • Inspired by Martha Stewart
  • Ingredients:
  • Olive oil, for baking dish
  • 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 container (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 medium zucchini (8 ounces each), halved lengthwise, then sliced thinly crosswise
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 6 no-boil lasagna noodles
  • 1.5 cups of tomato sauce
  • 2 ounces shredded (1/2 cup) part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. 
  • In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese and ricotta; season with salt and pepper. In another medium bowl, combine zucchini, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.  Spread some sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. 
  • Spread 1/3 zucchini mixture in prepared baking dish; top with two lasagna noodles, then 1/3 ricotta mixture. Repeat twice with remaining zucchini mixture, noodles, and ricotta mixture, finishing with the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
  • Cover baking dish with aluminum foil; bake until bubbly and noodles are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove foil; bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.

  • You want to hear about the salad, don't you?
  • Here's what I did- I sauteed swiss chard with EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic and onions.  Then I cooked some chorizo.  Then I mixed that together with dried cranberries, blueberries and goat cheese.  And thats it!  Perfect side dish!

  • The last dish I made this week was the Summer Squash Curry.  I know I used a combination of a recipe I found from pinterest- - and the one on the back of the coconut milk can.  It's your typical thai curry, with lots of summer squash, tofu, scallions, carrots, red bell pepper and my favorite- thai curry paste.  
  • I liked this dish, but I didn't love it.  I know for a fact that I will recreate this again- using Heidi Swanson's book.  
  •  The book Super Natural Everyday I won from a Giveaway on Naturally Ella's blog the other day!  Cannot wait to make her version of Summer Squash Soup!
  • So... that was a lot of recipes all using summer squash and zucchini.  Hope you enjoyed!

  • What's your favorite way to cook with zucchini and squash?

13 comments:

  1. Yum! The zucchini lasagna looks amazing! can that be my new favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that swiss chard salad looks awesome! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got my first delivery of veggies through a CSA-type program we're doing at work and I wish I had read this before I used up my swiss chard - that salad sounds amazing! I did get lots of summer squash though so I think I'll make your zucchini enchiladas, and substitute in the squash. Thanks for the recipes! I can't wait to try!!

    See you bright and early!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all of it looks great as usual! A zucchini fiesta!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic, especially the enchiladas! I often puree my vegetables and add them to so many meals - enchiladas, soups, pasta bakes, tacos....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a lot of zucchini too. I made a lasagna using the zucchini as the noodles. It was surprisingly VERY good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made squash fritters last week, which were really tasty, but most of the time I like to saute squash and zucchini with some garlic and olive oil and mix them with pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so creative! These look absolutely delicious and I'm definitely bookmarking. I like to saute zucchini and squash to top pasta/raviolis, but my mom makes the best broiled zucchini circles with cheese.

    I love your blog and have been reading for awhile now! We've done some of the same races too! :)

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    xo Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah zucchini. I'm totally not getting sick of it! Love the enchilada idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These recipes look fantastic! I am hoping we get some squash this week to test some of them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pull an Elina - hehe, love it ;)
    I also love Heidi - so jealous you won the book! I have her first one and this one looks even better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post is perfect for me right now...our garden is popping out zucchini's left and right!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just simply love your summer squash curry recipe. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete