Friday, January 21, 2011

Vegetarian Meals

My husband is not loving these vegetarian or "light" meat meals, but I am!  This week I cooked a Butternut Squash Quinoa Bake, Pumpkin Curry with Tofu, and a Winter Panzanella Salad. 
Butternut Squash is the common theme in all these dishes.  I roasted two squashes  on Sunday and used those bite size pieces in each of these dishes.  Also on Monday, I cooked the Quinoa, cooked the chicken sausage, and sauteed the onions.  I combined the quinoa with the sausage, onions and squash in a casserole dish for Tuesdays dinner.  All I had to do on Tuesday was throw some cheese on that dish and put it in the oven.  I served the Quinoa Bake with a side salad with feta and pomegranates.
Tuesday I made a dish inspired by Mama Pea's Pumpkin Curry with Tofu. I didn't love this dish.  But I also put a whole can of pumpkin in instead of a half can like she reccommends, oops! If you are looking for an amazing Tofu dish, cook this from Cara's Cravings.  I made it last Friday and even my meat-loving husband enjoyed it! But this curry dish did pack some flavor, I just wish it had some spice.
Pumpkin Curry with Tofu
Ingredients:
Marinade:
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 1/2 t. apple cider vinegar
1/2 t. salt
2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spiceCurry:
One 16 oz. package of extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
1 1/2 cups of roasted butternut squash
1/2 red onion diced
1 T. minced ginger
1 t. minced garlic
1 c. broccoli florets
1 c. red or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 T. curry powder
One 14 oz. can light coconut milk1/2 c. canned pumpkin
salt and pepper
2 c. cooked brown rice
Instructions:
In a shallow pie plate or dish, combine marinade ingredients. Add pressed tofu and turn to coat. Allow tofu to marinate for at least 30 minutes. 
 Preheat broiler. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium high heat.  Sauté ginger, garlic, onion, broccoli and peppers for 4-7 minutes. 
Remove from pan and place in a large bowl covered with tin foil to keep vegetables warm. Place tofu on a prepared cookie sheet and broil for six minutes on each side. Combine pumpkin and add to curry sauce and bring mixture back to a boil. Then add and then add vegetables, tofu and roasted squash. Stir, heat through and serve over brown rice.
 Last nights dinner was a take on the Panzanella Salad I made on New Years only with whatever veggies I had left in the fridge.  This was an idea I saw on Smitten Kitchen's blog.
 I used Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Roasted Brocolli, Roasted Butternut Squash with Pomegranates, Red Onion, Crumbled Bacon, Parm Cheese, homemade cruotons (made with EVOO spray and salt and pepper) and then a lemon honey mustard vinaigrette.
I put all those ingredients in my favorite Pyrex bowl and shook it up.
And voila, a delicious salad!
PS- I got into work today, mainly by waking up super early and taking the train into the city before all the delays happened.  Check out the scene as I was leaving the gym.
 Yep, and now the suns out.  Gotta love New England.  Just hoping this snow won't ruin my long run outside with Becky!

14 comments:

  1. Lizzy - you rock. I am sending you a recipe that your husband will love because it includes 'meat' and you will love it because its vegan.

    And during those cold New England days it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That butternut squash and quinoa looks awesome! I posted a quinoa recipe today too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh can you live with me and cook?!! I don't eventhink about meat with your dishes!! fabulousity!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those meals sound amazing to me!! Haha but no way my boyfriend would eat those. Glad you were able to make it into work today without a ridiculous commute - I neeeed to run outside so I hope this snow stops coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Men and their meat...haha! Looks really delish and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that man in the city scene - priceless. so smart to roast the squash in prep for the weeks dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your prep work inspires me. I'm going to make a big batch of rice for the week. Small starts for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always impressive that you manage to make such beautiful meals at the end of the work day. I know planning ahead is so important...now I need to start doing it! That quinoa bake looks amazing!

    And Mother Nature needs to stop messing with us. We have running to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love butternut squash. I'll have to try those.

    I'm in Georgia and we're supposed to get snow AGAIN on Monday. What is going on? I'm ready for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry your husband isn't loving your vegetarian meals -- they look delicious to me!! Butternut squash and quinoa is one of my favorite combinations.

    That scene is very similar to how it looked in Providence yesterday morning. I was SO bitter I had to drive to work in a blizzard. Even though it's only a couple of miles away, it took forever to get there. Now the snow has stopped but these temperatures are awful! It's going to be a "fun" weekend of running (ha)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOOKS DELICIOUS! I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had butternut squash and qunioa yesterday. SO good! I cant seem to get into tofu but that panzanella looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving all the pumpkin in your life lately! I need to make some of these...that curry especially. i'm a sucker for anything with pumpkin AND curry. Hope your long run went well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can make these veggies dishes for me any time! yum yum

    ReplyDelete