Wednesday, November 18, 2009

More Fall Flavors...

So Monday night, I took a break from cooking and went out to sushi with my BFF's. So I was really looking forward to cooking on Tuesday and tonight. Last night I made some repeats. I made Bon Appetit's Squash/Kale/Cheddar/Bread Pudding (again) and Bella Eats Potato Cheese Soup as well as more Pumpkin Blondies!!!

Here is the Potato Cheese Soup recipe. I really wish I followed her recipe more closely, because I didn't love the soup. It was too thick for my liking. But I'm not a huge potato girl...and I bet if I followed her method I would have had a better result. So click the link above!

Potato Cheese Soup

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 large onion, 1/2-inch dice
  • 3 stalks celery, 1/2-inch dice
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced to 1/2-inch
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
  • 6-8 cups vegetable stock
  • 4 oz mexican blend cheese
  • salt + pepper
Instructions:
Heat butter over medium-high heat in large soup pot. Add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic and saute’ until the onions are just translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and saute’ another minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium (a low boil) and cook until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart. Puree’ the mixture until smooth using an Immersion Blender. Whisk the cheese and season with salt and pepper.

Here's my dinner...
Then I made some more Pumpkin Blondies! mmmmm..not sure how one is missing
: )
Tonight, I made Chicken and Butternut Squash Tagine inspired from this month's Cooking Light.


Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 8 ounces peeled frozen cubed butternut squash
  • 8 pitted dried plums, chopped
Instructions:
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 8 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin and next 7 ingredients (through chicken); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, squash, and dried plums; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
I thought this dish was probably a 6 out of 10. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. I used frozen cubed squash and defrosted it first and it became way to tender in the pot and got kinda mashed up. As a side to go along with the chicken, I made a saute of Winter Greens.
Ingredients:
• 1/2 pound of Rainbow Swiss Chard
• 1/2 pound of escarole
• chicken broth
• salt and pepper
• red pepper flakes

Saute with evoo in skillet until wilted, then add in broth and seasonings.

I also served this up with the Kale/Squash/Cheddar Bread Pudding I made yesterday.
And my dinner plate.
Update on workouts:
Monday: Physical Therapy
Tuesday: Boot Camp
Wednesday: ran 2.5 miles, lifted legs

Kay off to watch Top Chef!

No comments:

Post a Comment