Thursday, April 14, 2011

Prepping for THE RACE

The Boston Marathon is 4 days away. 4 DAYS.  Here is how I've been preparing:

MARATHON OUTFIT: I've been wanting a vest for awhile now.  I bought one from Gap Body that I wore during the Black Cat 10 Miler but its a little big and doesn't fit quite right.  I borrowed another from a friend and it's a little snug.  When I saw the Boston Convertible Jacket on the Bill Rodgers website, I knew I had to get it. The Bill Rodgers store is conveniently located around the corner from my office and has TONS of Boston Marathon 2011 stuff! It's right in Fanuiel Hall so check it out if you are coming to Boston.
 Yet again, I was in between the S and the M and decided to try out the Medium on my run this morning.  I am not superstitious and because this isn't the "official" marathon jacket, I have no problem wearing it come race day.  Plus it will be perfect for me to hold all my essentials- my cell, chomps, ipod, etc! I wore it today on my run and loved it!
 So... here's my race day outfit!  I'm going to wear my "LIZ" shirt that I wore in NY and the vest over it with my signature race day Nike Capris.  I hope you guys will be able to spot me! If I get too hot, I'll take the vest off in Natick and give it to my mom/husband.
 
 I've run twice this week around my hilly neighborhood.  Both 3 mile runs averaging around 9 minute pace.  I may run again Saturday, I may not.  But come Monday, I'll be ready.  

MARATHON GOALS: I'm not sure what pace I'll be ready for, but I'm going to go out there and attack the race. Other people are talking about goals so I'll join the bandwagon.  Here is my race day strategy: To go out there and race.  In my previous marathons I've started too slow and ended up slowing down even more in my second half. Want to see proof, check this out.
I feel confident I can maintain close to a 9 minute pace for the first half of the race and that's exactly what I plan to do.  I know myself and I know I will slow down in the second half so I MUST start faster if I want to run a successful race. And what is my definition of successful?
A) Finishing with a smile on my face and not feeling defeated or miserable AT all
B) PRing, Anything under 4:24
C) Running 4:15

I think I'm capable of all three but as I said on my faith post, I'm not expecting anything. My only expectation is to run an amazing marathon with fabulous crowd support on my home turf.  

Although my training was severely truncated, I did have successful races (PRing in both the 10Miler and Half Marathon distance) and my fastest 20 Miler Ever.
 
8 of my 20 miles were under 9 minute pace with several others right above it. I was able to do this by not concentrating on the number on my watch, but rather running by feel.  Something I really want to do on Monday.  After all, numbers aren't everything.

So there you have it. And finally I'm able to talk about Boston with excitement.  I'm nervous but ready!

Whats your opinion on running by feel? Do you set goals for races?

24 comments:

  1. LIZZY! I am SUPER excited! I cannot wait to scream my face off for you! No matter what happens on that course, it will be an amazing experience that you will hold on to forever. I think savoring the moments and taking in the thrill of the race is really important. There will be no heartbreak on April 18th. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh the jacket looks so good on you!! Seeing your outfit made me excited :) We are sooo close and we can do it!!! I can't wait to hang out with you before the race - you are awesome and I believe you can do the 4:15, I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will do great! I can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that jacket/vest!! So cute! I sort of want to pick one up for myself but I don't think that's exactly legit...

    Anyway, I'm so excited for you!! And I'm happy that you're finally getting excited about it to! I honestly can't wait to cheer you on! Like Becky said - savor every moment and really take in the thrill of the race. I know you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great goals!! I do my best to set some goals for races, but for our first half marathon the first weekend of May, I just want to FINISH!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome goals and cute jacket! You're going to rock this. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you!!! Reading all of these pre-Boston posts is getting me all kinds of jealous. You've trained so hard and so smartly and I've loved following your journey. You're going to be AMAZING and you're going to feel great and I can't wait to see your finish line photo with that huge smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the vest! I hope you have a great race and have fun during it too! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck Liz! I typically run by feel but like to check in with my pace to make sure I'm giving it my all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the convertible jacket is the best piece of running outerwear that I own...actually own 2. You look fantastic in your Boston jacket and I am so excited to be cheering you on race day!!! Good luck girl and remember to just be in the moment. You've done all the training you can and just trust in your ability and feed on the energy of running the amazing Boston Marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO excited for you!! I really hope I can watch this year...might have to work though :( You are going to kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LIZZY! I am so freaking excited for you and wish I could be there to watch you kill this race that you've always wanted to run! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. The trickiest part of Boston is not knowing what to expect on the course. Because you know this course SO well, you have a 4:15 in you! Yeah Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tons of luck to you! I'll be cheering! Your 20 looks like it was solid, I think you've got a 4:15 in you for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. have a blast running and experiencing it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So excited for you - I am going to keep my eyes peeled for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not sure where I will be, but I will be looking for you and sending you vibes of strength, endurance, and lots of fun! My Boston Marathons are some of my all time favorite moments of my entire life, and I hope you get to enjoy every second.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to need your bib # so I can follow you from work! Good luck, you'll do great :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck!!! You're going to do awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really hope I make it to your party today. We are leaving the house soon but it is going to take a few hours then we have to check into the hotel. I am staying in Cambridge so we should be close! I am going to do my best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll keep an eye out for green! Of course, you might even be done running before we get out of the Sox game. Wishing you all the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The vest looks awesome!!! You can do it Lizzy, I know you can!

    PS I hope you made it home in one piece! Sorry to bail and hop on the T!!

    ReplyDelete