Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 4th Weekend

Happy 4th!  Actually, Happy 6th and Happy Birthday to two of my favorite people- Becky and Melissa!  I'm so glad I have both of you in my life and I hope you both have fabulous days : )

I spent 4th of July Weekend in three places: my town lounging around, Cape Cod at Stephanie's house with a bunch of friends and on the North Shore watching the fireworks.

We got a late start and didn't make it down to the Cape until about 3pm on Saturday.  Yeah, this happened...
But we eventually made it to Brewster and had a great day in which I took zero pictures (who me?). 

Then Sunday we woke up to clouds.  So we decided to amuse ourselves with a full day of games.  First up, Slip and Slide.  Who knew an eight dollar impulse-buy-game could be so much fun! We went one at a time for awhile and then decided to do rapid fire, which was quite dangerous but an insane amount of fun : )
After that we moved on to Flip Cup.  My team was terrible at first but eventually got the rhythm down right and rocked it out!
 The games didn't stop there.  We also played an intense game of Water Balloon toss.  We randomly selected our partners from a hat and began the game.  Unfortunately, this is not my game and my partner Sully and I were out pretty quickly : ( But my husband and his partner Becky won!
 Deanna was super impressive (bottom).  Although a few balloons broke all over her shirt, she did manage to have some amazing catches, like the one documented.

Food was next on the agenda. We prepped before the games got started and we had quite the feast.  Baked Brie, Steamers, Marinated Steak Kabobs and Smoked Chicken (in the smoker- amazing!).  Oh and Cape Cod Beer.  Very Important.
 After dinner we sat around the fire pit and ate s'mores and drank more beers. Have you heard of the game called Signs?  We played that too!
It was such a fun weekend : )  We got back to our town early on Monday and headed to a family BBQ at my mothers. My mom made corn on the cob, french fries, cole slaw and stuffed turkey burgers.  My mom also made her famous fruit pizza which I love.  She's been making it since I was a little girl and its one of my favorites.
After the family BBQ, we headed to the North Shore to watch the fireworks in Marblehead with Dave's parents.  They were gorgeous!

It was a fabulous summer weekend and I can't wait for more!

On the running front... I've been slacking since my 10K.  I've run a few times but nothing too impressive.  But I am gearing up for a track workout tonight!

What's your favorite way to spend a holiday weekend when it's not so nice out?

18 comments:

  1. Can we get a fruit pizza recipe! Dang that thing looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun weekend! I love the idea of slip'n'slide and games to stay amused when the weather isn't great...perfect way to spend a long weekend with friends! Looks like you ate some delicious food too - the fruit pizza looks incredible! Is the crust like a cake?
    Sometimes a break from running is a good thing, doesn't always mean you're slacking. Good luck with the track workout tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually pretty decent at flip cup. Sounds like a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome AWESOME weekend! I haven't played flip cup in forever but it is def my favorite drinking game! And so many good eats. That fruit pizza. I want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so jealous of your trips to the Cape! When it's not so nice, I love catching up on some reading and going to movies and to dinner. There's always something to do! Glad you had such a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like such a fun weekend! I love steamers and can't wait to get to the beach sometime this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, you pretty much had the best 4th weekend ever! slip n slide? that's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS We do need to get drinks and catch up sometime! I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! You guys do it right!!! Looks like a blast!! And, I know the food was delish!

    Slip-N-Slide!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun weekend - I love all the games you guys played. Feel free to toss a recipe for your mom's fruit pizza up here anytime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a lot of fun. I love Slip & Slide!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh cape traffic is the worst! The games looked like a blast and a half - can't go wrong with flip cup and water balloon tosses :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an amazing weekend!! I am jealous of you and your Cape House friend. Where can I get one of those. ;)

    I haven't done a slip 'n slide for years but those things are amazing! Especially when you add an element of danger, haha. And I don't think I've ever played the game Signs. What is it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was supposed to be on the Cape for the 4th but long story short....we were in St Augustine instead! Looks like you had a fabulous time too though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like such an incredible weekend! I would die doing that slip and slide but it looks like you guys had a blast. I made a fruit pizza too for the 4th of July. It had a sugar cookie base and looked like an American flag. SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That baked brie looks delicious. I love weekends on the Cape.

    ReplyDelete