Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sleepy Days

Ever have one of those days where you just feel off? I had a doctor's appointment this morning at 8:30 in Natick which meant I could a) sleep in or b) go to Natick gym before heading over the doctor. I set the alarm for b. But didn't wake up until 7:15! Oops. I decided to wear my running clothes and run after the doctors and technically take an early lunch. I got to the gym by 9:45 and ran 2 miles. I just wasn't feeling it. From the moment I woke up, I just felt out of it. My stomach hurt the whole time and I just wasn't in the mood. Instead of beating myself up about it too much, I just got off the treadmill and got ready for work. I stopped at Cosi and picked up a Signature Light Salad with Feta instead of Blue Cheese (gross!) I got into work, and immediately got a new project and have been working on it all afternoon and haven't had much time for breaks. I just finished the rest of my salad since I ate the first half at 11:15AM!

I had a busy night last night in preparation for David to come home! I made Chicken Piccata and Steamed Peas as well as Granola Bars for Dessert and morning snacks. I also took out the trash, organized the recyling, did the laundry and still got into bed by 9:30. Talked to Dave briefly at 935pm and then he told me he would call back by 10. I was half asleep when he did. Its amazing how quickly the tired feeling "just hits." Maybe its my bed and the fact that the Bob-A-Pedic (I hate Bob's but this bed is the best bed in the world!!!) I swear its the reason I have absolutely no problem sleeping EVER! Here is my recipe for Chicken Piccata:

I used three Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast and cut them in half to make them thinner. I then drenched them in flour in put them in the pan with some "I Can't Believe its not butter" and Lemon Juice and some Chicken Broth. I cooked the chicken in batches until it was all cooked through. Oh and obviously I seasoned it with lots of Salt & Pepper. I also steamed some peas. Here's what the dish looks like:




Then, I decided to make Energy/Granola Mix/Bars. Here's the recipe from All Whites:


Chewy Fruit & Flax Granola Bars
Loaded with nutrition from whole grains, flax, and dried fruit, the good-for-you granola bars in this recipe bake up to a chewy perfection in your oven.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Baking: 16 minutes
Time-To-Table: 26 minutes
Serves: 36
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups old fashioned oatmeal
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup chopped dates
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/4 cup whole flax seeds*
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup AllWhites®, 100% liquid egg whites**



Instructions:
    1. Heat oven to 325°F. Grease or spray 15x10x1-inch or 16x12x1-inch baking pan. In large bowl, stir together oatmeal, whole wheat flour, cranberries, dates, brown sugar, almonds, flax seeds, baking soda and salt. Stir in honey, canola oil and AllWhites® until dry mixture is completely moist and coated. 2. Firmly press mixture into prepared baking pan using a rubber spatula or palm of your hand. (Mixture will be sticky; use a light dusting of flour on your hand if needed). Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until bars are a light golden brown. Cool completely. 3. Cut into 36 (6 crosswise x 6 lengthwise). For on-the-go bars, wrap individual bar tightly with plastic wrap. Store bars in an airtight container. *Tip: Whole flax seeds can be purchased in the baking aisle or organic/health section of your grocery store. For added health benefits, the flax seeds can be ground. **Tip: If desired substitute 1/4 cup Better'n Eggs
Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size:
1 bar (1/36th) of recipe

Calories:
125
% Daily
Value*

Total Fat
4 (g)
6%



Sat Fat
1 (g)
2%



Trans Fat
0 (g)


Cholesterol
0 (mg)


Sodium
73 (mg)
3%

Total
Carbohydrate
22 (g)
7%



Dietary Fiber
2 (g)
9%



Sugar
12 (g)


Protein
2 (g)
5%

Calcium
17 (mg)
2%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat


No comments:

Post a Comment