Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fried Food Never Tasted soooo Good!

On Tuesday night, Dave and I were invited to my companies executive suite for the Red Sox game. It was home-run derby for the Sox versus the Orioles with our team winning 10-0! We ate our share of food and nothing good for me. I ate a piece of pizza, some chicken fingers, clam chowder a couple beers and lots of water.

Update on Workouts:
Monday Dave and I ran around our town for just over 3 miles.


9/7
3.20 mi Total Time: 29:30 Pace: 09:13



Then on Tuesday, I ran during lunch. My legs were tired but I got through it:


9/8 Treadmill 5.00 mi Total Time: 43:10 Pace: 08:38

Wednesday, I ran after work on the treadmill again and my legs again felt exhuasted. I decided I'm taking today off.


9/9 Treadmill 5.00 mi Total Time: 43:35 Pace:08:43

I set out to run 6 but I was working against the clock and had to make my train home. When I got home, I was a girl on a mission. A cooking mission....

I am running the Ragnar Relay Race on Friday and Saturday so I wanted to have lots of food for Dave to eat so I made TWO dinners. The first was a Thai Style Meatloaf. Ever since I saw Debbie on The Next Food Network Star make an Asian Meatloaf, I knew I wanted to try it. So I merged a couple recipes together plus added my own special ingredients and here's what I came up with:

Thai Meatloaf

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 cup Chopped onions
1 Tbs. Chopped garlic
1 Tbs. Chopped ginger
1 Cup of Portobello Mushrooms, chopped
2 large Eggs
½ cup Skim milk
½ cup Panko Japanese breadcrumbs
1 pkg. (1.2 lbs.)Lean (93/7)Ground Sirloin
¼ cup Ketchup
1/4 Cup of Catalina Dressing
¼ cup Thai chili sauce, divided
1 spoonful of Thai Chili Paste
2 tsp. Reduced sodium soy sauce
Nonstick cooking spray

Instructions:
Heat oven to 400°F.
In skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and ginger and mushrooms; cook about 5 minutes or until onions start to soften.
In mixing bowl, whick together eggs, milk and panko. Add sirloin, onion mixture, ketchup, Catalina, 2 Tbs. Thai chili sauce and the soy sauce; mix gently but thoroughly. Mixture will be very wet.
Lightly coat an 8½ x 4 x 3-inch loaf pan with spray.
Transfer mixture to loaf pan, mounding it in the middle. Brush with remaining Thai chili sauce.
Bake in middle of oven at least 1 hour.

This meal will be eaten tonight and tomorrow. I wish the picture came out better, but how does a loaf of meat look pretty? I tried a tiny little bit, and it was so flavorful!

Okay, now on to the main dish. I saw a recipe for Pan-Seared Shrimp Po' Boys in this months Cooking Light. However after searching through tons of recipes, I decided to do something really bad.... and FRY the shrimp! What can I say, I guess I'm still in the Cape mentality, that I can eat whatever because I am on vacation?? Well, I'm not but I did keep the batter light and the oil was only a couple of inches.... and when it looks this delicious, how can you not fry them??

Here's what I did:

Shrimp Po' Boys

Ingredients
- 1 bag of medium size shrimp
- oil (for frying, enough to cover shrimp- I first used Veggie until I ran out, then added Peanut Oil- is combining oils bad??)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt
- pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika

Instructions:
Clean and devein shrimp. Prepare 3 bowls. Add salt, pepper, and all other spices to the flour. Divide the flour between the first two bowls. Combine and beat the egg and milk in the third bowl. Arrange the bowls so you have flour, egg wash, and flour.
Heat the oil until a drop of flour placed in the pan dances around. Working left to right and starting with the left hand, coat the shrimp with flour from the first bowl and place into the egg wash. Using the right hand, remove the shrimp from the egg wash and place in the last bowl of flour. Coat evenly and carefully place into oil. Cook until browned on both sides.

With all the shrimp I had, this took about a half an hour to go through all of it! While the shrimp was frying, I toasted two Challah Rolls with a little bit of butter under the broiler. Then I made the homemade tartar sauce, my style.

Spicy Tartar Sauce
1/2 Cup of Mayonnaise
1/8 Cup of Dijon Mustard
4 Squeezes of Srichi Sauce
Salt and Pepper

Mix these ingredients together and spread on Challah Rolls. Then add greens (I used Argula), Red Onion and Tomato. Then Add the Shrimp.

Seriously, this was sooooo good. Maybe not the healthiest thing I've ever made but sometimes taste overrides healthy dishes!! It's funny that originally I was going to make the Cooking Light version then decided if I am going to cook Shrimp Po' boys, I should do it right!




Tonight dinner is leftover Po' Boys and Thai Meatloaf. Then I'm off bright and early for the Ragnar Relay. My legs consist of 6.8 Miles HARD, then 4.5 Miles Moderate and 5.5. Miles Moderate. Ironically my last leg goes through my home town! I'm excited for the race, but not so excited for sleeping in the vans! But hey, it's an experience. Another short work week for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment