Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Dave's Birthday!!!


I'm one day late updating this blog, but Dave's 32nd birthday was this weekend and we've been celebrating all weekend!!! Saturday night we went out to dinner at Fiore in the North End and then went to a cigar bar down the street. Dave doesn't have many vices but he does really enjoy a glass of scotch (or two or three) and a cigar every once in awhile. (Well the glass of scotch is definitely more than once in awhile...) So when BFF Courtney told me about this place, I figured it was the perfect place to take my old man. We celebrated with our friends Kerry and Jonathan, Usok and Steve.

I will admit that I kept looking at my watch because I wasn't drinking and I wanted to get home so I could go to bed and wake up for my morning run. (I know I know, I am lame) I was planning on running with the group at 7. I hadn't run in 5 days and although my leg wasn't feeling better, I wanted to get out there. Unfortunately, waking up at 5am wasn't in the cards for me after not getting home until after 12:30am.

Sunday was an insanely busy day. Besides from needing to get in a run, we had an engagement party an hour away AND I planned a family dinner to celebrate Dave's birthday with his parents, my bro and sis-in-law and my mom. So, I woke up at 8am, made a grocery list and went shopping. Then I prepped my dinner which included:
bacon wrapped dates, Brie-Prosciutto and Apple Calzone, Deli-Meat Stromboli, Sirloin and Turkey Meatballs, Dave's famous Tomato Sauce and Spaghetti. In addition, my mom made a salad, I made Kale Chips and garlic bread. Dave's mom brought a birthday cake. I forgot to take pictures of the food, probably because I was pretty frantic.

When I got home from the grocery store, I put the Stromboli together, prepped all the meatballs, cooked the spaghetti and Dave worked on his sauce. Then at 10:30, Dave and I went running. I'm not sure it was the smartest decision to run, but I did it anyway. My foot is not even close to getting better, in fact the pain has now gone down to my heel, lower achilles area. Dave and I ran
5.33 miles in 49:48.

Mile 1: 9:15
Mile 2: 9:12
Mile 3: 9:26
Mile 4: 9:27
Mile 5: 9:32
Mile .33: 9:01 pace
Avg pace: 9:21

When I got home, I iced and finished prepping my dinner. Then I got ready for the party and we drove down to Brockton to celebrate
Dean and Joanna!
Joanna is one of my oldest friends. We met at camp over 10 years ago and we were never in the same bunk (until my last year) but we became pen pals. I love when you are young, you are pen pals with people who live in the same state as you! Anyway, when Joanna and I first graduated college, we hung out all the time. Both of us were living the single life and trying to forget about the past. I met Dave first and soon after I met Dave, Joanna met Dean. And we've never looked back! And although Joanna and I don't hang out nearly as much as we used to, I know we will remain life long friends. So here's to you Dean and Jo- Congrats on your engagement- can't wait until next year! I love you!

Okay so after the party, we rushed home to get to our house before Dave's parents arrived so I could finish cooking. I was rushing and felt kind of frantic but I got dinner on the table. It is not easy to get everything hot at the same time, especially when you are cooking so much and only have one oven! Spaghetti and Meatballs is not my favorite meal but it's Dave's and since it's his birthday, I let him pick! After dinner, we had cake... mmmm... cake.

Monday, my leg felt pretty terrible and I was starting to get really worried. Honestly, I didn't sleep well thinking about what will happen if I can't run this race. I called Children's in the morning and figured out if need be, I can defer my number to next year and I have until the 25th of the month to decide. I'm worried about not running leading up to the race but I haven't given up hope. I've taken this week off so far and will run on Friday and see how I feel. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Monday night we ate leftovers and Tuesday was Dave's actual birthday and he woke up to me saying "Do you feel older, younger or just the same.." on repeat. Yes, I know, I'm annoying. Anyway, we both worked that day and then I made a delicious dinner. Its a recipe of made before here. Only I used pork chops instead of pork tenderloin and I didn't use leeks but did use mushrooms. I also made roasted red potatoes and mushrooms and kale chips. We finished dinner with more cake...

Tonight we ate more the spaghetti and meatballs. I also made this AMAZING dish of Creamed Kale. I made it up on the fly but it was an awesome side-dish. I put a ton of Kale with a little EVOO in a hot skillet with chopped proscuitto, portobella mushrooms, 1/4 cup of cream, 1/8 cup of Chicken Broth, shredded mexican cheese, salt/pepper and red pepper flakes.
I promise I will post the recipe of the sauce and meatballs, but not tonight! Now I'm off to watch the Celtics and get to bed early. Tomorrow is going to be an insane day in the office.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! That was such a nice post, thank you so much for writing and for coming all the way down to Brockton for our silly little family party. You are an amazing friend and I know we'll always be in each other's lives no matter what the capacity. Pen pals forever! I love you!