Thursday, January 7, 2010

I love you, Bon Appetit!

So about 5 months ago, my friend Gretchen (remember her, she is back in action!) started receiving two copies of Bon Appetit each month. So.. she starting bringing her extra copy to ME! Each month I look forward to getting Bon Appetit. It is DEFINITELY my favorite cooking magazine and I get A LOT. (They rotate each month because I have magazine hound, but I get Cooking Light, Everyday Food, Everyday with Rachael Ray, Food Network mag...) Bon Appetit has such a variety of cooking recipes, and I've pretty much liked everything I've made from there. So my Mushroom Cakes were no exception. In the January 2010 issue, this was the first recipe. Of course I modified quite a bit, especially with the sauces, but the cakes stayed pretty true to the recipe. These cakes were inspired by Cuvee World in Tucson. Bon Appetit always recreates recipes from readers favorite dishes!

Mushroom Cakes with Guacomole and Red Pepper Coulis
Ingredients:

Red Pepper Coulis:

1 red pepper

2 tablespoons of garlic
2 tablespoons of light cream
1 tablespoon of honey
1/2 chipotles in adobo
Mushroom Cakes:

2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of evoo

1 package of sliced button mushrooms
1 package of sliced portobello mushrooms

2 tablespoons of minced garlic

2 large eggs, beaten

2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon of dried basil

2 tablespoons of Italian parsely
2 tablespoons of mozzerela cheese

salt/pepper

1/2 cup to a cup of Panko breadcrumbs

Guacomole

2 Hass Avocadoes

Lime Juice

Salt and Pepper

1/2 of one chipotle in adobo

Directions:

Mushroom Cakes-
Melt butter with oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add all mushrooms and saute until browned and edges begin to crisp, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add garlic, stir for a minute. Transfer mixture to large food processor. Add beaten eggs, parmesan, herbs, salt and pepper to processor. Process until mushrooms are coarsely chopped. Transfer to large bowl and mix with panko. Add more if the mixture is too wet. Divide mushrooms into 8 equal portions. Form each patty with your hands and place on baking sheet. Melt butter with 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Also preheat oven to 300 degrees. Working in batches, add mushroom cakes to skillet; cook until browned an cooked through. Transfer to baking sheet and place in oven.
Red Pepper Coulis: Char pepper over gas flame or in broiler until blackened all over. Let it cool a bit and cut in half and place in small food processor with minced garlic. Add in cream, honey and chipotle and blend until smooth Guac: Process Avocados, lime juice, salt and pepper and chipotle in processor until smooth. (You can and probably SHOULD use a jalapeno if you have it- I didn't but did have chipotles in adobo!)

There really aren't enough words to describe how good these were. I wish I made a double batch. I can't wait to try them again with different kinds of mushrooms and more interesting sauces. Seriously, so delicious, these are a must try AND vegetarian! I definitely recommend making these. Don't they look like burgers? That's what Dave thought they were at first. Nope, 100% vegetarian.

That is how Bon Appetit recommended serving the. Guac as the base, mushroom cake, coulis on top. Our friend Tara stayed at our house and she really enjoyed the cakes as well!

Tonight, I made another recipe from Annie-Eats. I made her White Bean Chicken Chili. This was another delicious meal. Just really different and fun!
White Bean Chicken Chili
Ingredients:
4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ -inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. oil
1 or 2 (15.5 oz) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (I used one, but could have easily used two)
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 Pureed Chipotle in Adobo (or two small cans of green chilis)
handful of pickled jalepenos
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
½ cup light cream
kale chips and paprika, for garnish

Directions:
In a large saucepan sauté chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chipotle, jalepeno and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; let simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and whipping cream. Sprinkle with paprika and top with a kale chip or two for garnish, if desired.

Another successful dish. I quickly saved a couple scoops for my lunch tomorrow before Dave finished all of it. We both really enjoyed this meal. Just totally different!

Now on to workouts:
Monday- off
Tuesday- 4X800 (3.5 miles), Boot Camp
Wednesday- Physical Therapy
Thursday (today)- 3 miles in 25:35, then Muscle Conditioning

I really like my Muscle Conditioning class. The guy who teaches it is amazing. He picks on me a lot though which just makes me work harder! We did Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, Back, Lunges, Squats, Butt, etc. Amazing! One more day and then it's the weekend...

1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious Lizzy! I can't wait to try making these and the white bean chicken chili below. I learn so much from reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete