Saturday, February 6, 2010

Weekend Food

Friday night, we tried a new restaurant called Woodward in the new Ames Hotel. I've heard great things about this place and was excited to try. For starters we got the Grilled Vegetable Salad which featured different textures and totally deliciousness. Eggplant, Arugula, Home-made Croutons, Parmesan cheese! Then we got the Duck Flatbread which had goat cheese, fontina cheese, duck, cranberries and arugula.Lastly, we shared the seafood bouillabaisse which was good, but not amazing. Next time I would probably stick to just the flatbread and salad.
Saturday morning, I decided to make "eggs in a basket," something I have seen on other blogs. Only I used my heart cookie cuter. All you do is place your cookie cutter in the middle of your bread, then butter your bread and put it in the hot skillet. Once browned flip it and crack your egg right in the middle and season with salt and pepper. Then flip again!
A true love breakfast : )
Lunch I made a bowties with whatever veggie was left in the fridge- brussel sprouts, tomatoes, green peppers, banana peppers... and some parm cheese.

I finally got moving around 3pm and did my errands. When I got home from the grocery store, I made Black Bean Tortilla Pie inspired by Cara's Cravings. I've made very similar recipes to this, but this one caught my eye so I had to try it.
Black Bean Tortilla Pie (inspired by Cara's Cravings)
Ingredients


1 cup diced onion
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
freshly ground salt & pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
4 oz cream cheese
6 10" flour tortillas
1 cup reduced fat shredded mexican blend cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with nonstick olive oil cooking spray. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes more, stirring. Add zucchini and cook for about 8 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Season with salt & pepper, cumin, chili powder, and oregano and stir to coat. Add the black beans and diced tomatoes with green chiles. Cut the cream cheese into cubes and scatter over the vegetable mixture, and stir until all of it is melted in and nicely combined. Remove from heat. Lightly spray your casserole dish (I used a 9x13 Glass Pyrex Pan)with nonstick cooking spray. Top with two of the tortillas (if using one large dish), top with about 2/3 or the vegetable mixture and half of the shredded cheese. Add another layer of tortillas and the remaining vegetable mixture. Repeat one more time. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve with side salad.

We're having people over for the Super Bowl and I have a big menu planned.
Salsa Baked Goat Cheese
Pizza Bites
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Turkey Chili
Cheesecake
Nutella Cake
Yum!
Nancy canceled the run so I have to figure out if i am going to the treadmill or running outside!I'll be back with a pics and recipes of super bowl food!

No comments:

Post a Comment