Monday, September 5, 2011

Vacation Week

Did you miss me? Did you know I was gone?  I try to be pretty sneaky when I go on vacations.  I'm not into the whole checking in on four square thing or telling people I'm leaving town on the internets.  What can I say, I'm paranoid!  Since Tuesday, my husband and I have been traveling the mid-west.  We started in Chicago and had quite the trip!  I've been going to midwest every year for as long as I can remember but I've never been to Chicago.  No, our special place is Omaha, Nebraska.  I know what you're thinking... Omaha?!? (Somewhere in the middle of America...) Well, I love Omaha!  Not just because you can get the best corn in the world, but because its where my family is.  Thats right, my mothers entire family lives in Omaha Nebraska and I love going back to visiting.

So here's a little preview of our amazing vacation to the midwest.
CHICAGO
Our vacation started at Girl & the Goat.  We got into Chicago at 3pm and were at Stephanie Izard's restaurant (former Top Chef Winner) by 4:30.  Yep, we ate dinner at 4:30pm and it was so worth it to be able to walk right in : )  Review on this amazing food to come...
We then headed to my buddy Greg's house and enjoyed drinks on his balcony with beautiful views of the city.  Seriously, that's a lake?  It looks like an ocean!!!!
 The next day we started at Millenium Park visiting "The Bean."  So much fun : )
 And made it over to Sears (Willis) Tower where we took a picture on the glass plank.  This is a huge deal to me since I am ridiculously scared of heights!
We had some authentic Deep Dish Pizza and had a battle of the two famous chains.  (My review to come)
 Visited the South Side for a White Sox game...
 Ate Icream with Liquid Nitrogen with my friend Leah who also scored us the White Sox tix!
And finished our trip to Chicago with an Architectural Boat Tour and a Cubs game.  Dave caught a foul ball!!! How amazing is that?
Chicago was a blast but the best part of this vacation was hanging out with my family in Nebraska.  We had the worst flight getting into Omaha.  We were on a small flight and there was a torrential rain/lightening storm as we made our way down but we landed safely : )

Saturday was spent cheering on the Huskers (Nebraska College Football) and eating Southern food while hanging out with family : )

 We also had some fun at a local store with these amazing "Corn"huskers hats.  I think these rival the cheese hats.  I also think this might be the best picture of my brother and I ever taken : )
 The weekend ended with professional family photos and a dinner out to celebrate my Papa's 93rd birthday.
I really couldn't have asked for a better week.  The midwest gets a bad rap, but I loved every part of being out there.  Chicago is totally a city I could see myself living in (if I ever decided to leave my beloved Boston which doesn't seem likely)!  And Omaha will always have my heart.  Omaha is a special place to me that I love visiting! Thanks to everyone who made this weekend so special.  Stay tuned for some amazing Restaurant Reviews : )

How was your long weekend?

19 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your Girl and Goat review. Cute corn hats. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That glass plank looks totally terrifying! You're much braver than I am :) Glad you had a good vaca. The Girl and Goat looks really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip! I'm so glad you got to get away and enjoy a vacation :)

    And there's noooo way I'd be able to go on that glass plank! I'm super scared of heights too. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love the Midwest (I'm an Iowa girl!) I totally get loving Omaha and wish all people from major US cities would check out some of the Heartland. I don't think they'd regret it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a blast!!! Can't wait to read about The Girl & The Goat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry I missed your trip and didn't get a chance to give you reviews, but it looks like you hit some of the places I would have sent you to anyway! I love girl & the goat and iCream is one of my favorite places to bring out of town guests.

    If you ever make it back here I also recommend Violet Hour (Awesome bar in wicker park that has creative cocktails and a unique atmosphere).

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha, i'm also paranoid about letting the internet know i am gone. awesome pics, the glass plank totally freaks me out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww, what a great trip! can't wait to hear about stephanie izzards restaurant :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I (sort of) understand not letting the internet know you're going away...(although I think I feel a false sense of security living in a big building, but if I lived out in the 'burbs, I might be more concerned.

    But thanks for not telling *me* you were going away. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the midwest! The people are noticeably nicer. I would live in Chicago if it weren't so cold. Glad you had such a fun vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to read your review of Girl & The Goat!!! Sounds like a fabulous vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. iCream -- do you tell them what you want and they make it? with the liquid nitrogen to freeze it quickly?

    Umm Sears Tower picture made me feel scared looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like such a fun vacation! Love the picture of you in a corn hat. Hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been to the midwest and I'm dying to go!! Your trip looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  15. You weren't too far from me! I went to a 'skers game a couple of falls ago. INSANE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes I missed you and yes I knew you were gone (sort of). I'm happy you had a good vacation but I'm even happier that you're back!

    Have I ever told you that I'm a midwest girl at heart? I spent a lot of my childhood in OH and loved it. Not sure if I'd ever move back, but I agree - the midwest gets a bad rap! I've never been to Chicago though, and would love to someday.

    Love the picture of you and your brother in the corn hats. And you're family is so cute. ...except, you and Dave must've gotten the wrong blue memo.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My family is from a small farm town in Illinois and I love going to the mid-west for vacations too. It looks like you had a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing week!! I had no idea you had family in Nebraska...that must have been SO nice to spend such quality time with them and also get out to some great restaurants and enjoy some fun things. Happy 93rd birthday to your papa! That is incredible. You look SO happy in all of these pictures...I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww girl, your trip looks like so much fun! Sad that you were so close yet so far from me in Cincy!!

    Can't wait to read the resto reviews :)

    ReplyDelete