Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chicken Satay

Last night I made Chicken Sate with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce, Whole Grain Rice and Stir-Fried Bok Choy. These were all inspired by Ellie Kreiger. My train was delayed so I didn't get to start this until 7:15, but luckily, I marinated the chicken all day. The first thing I did was get my grill pan nice and hot and a skillet hot with canola oil. Here are the recipes:

Chicken Sate with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce

Ingredients
* 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock

* 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
* 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 1/2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
* 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast pounded slightly and cut into 1-inch strips

Instructions:
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, coconut milk, soy sauce, shallot, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime zest, and ginger. Add the chicken strips and marinate. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.

Spray a nonstick grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over a medium-high flame. While pan is heating, thread chicken onto skewers. Grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until meat is cooked through and has light grill marks.

Serve chicken skewers with Peanut Dipping Sauce.

Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce:

* 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter

* 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
* 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
* 2 tablespoons lime juice
* 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
* 1 teaspoon red curry paste
*1 chipotle in adobo and sauce

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.

Sesame Stir-Fried Bok Choy

Ingredients

* 2 teaspoons canola oil

* 2 pounds baby bok choy
* 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
* 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
* 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Instructions:
In a wok or large frying pan heat the oil over high heat until very hot. Add the bok choy and stir-fry until they begin to soften slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil and cook until just done, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

Serve this microwavable brown rice, the bok choy and the kabob with the peanut sauce!

Also yesterday, I ran 8 miles on the treadmill at 7:30am. Here's the stats:


9/14 Treadmill Total Distance: 8.00 mi Total Time: 1:05:38 Total Pace: 08:12


Yep, you read that correctly. 8 miles at 8:12 pace. I'm trying to get faster. My running partner really wants to break four hours in the marathon. I just want to finish. But I know it will be a lot harder to finish if I don't have someone to run with so I might as well push my body as much as I can.

I'm currently gearing up for my run tonight. Hoping to do 5 before I take the train home!

No comments:

Post a Comment