Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happy New Year


I ended up not working on Friday. I'm still not 100% better but by Saturday I needed to run. My doctor cleared me so I went to the gym yesterday to basically run as far as I could. I wanted to go somewhere that I had a controlled environment, so if I had to stop I could. My treadmill started over after an hour so that was annoying. I decided I wanted to run 14 but after 2 hours, I still needed to run a quarter mile so I had to start the treadmill over a third time. But I did it!


Date9 /19/2009
RouteTreadmill
Distance14.00 mi
Time2:05:30
Pace0:08:57/mile

I honestly felt pretty good. I had to stop to blow my nose a bunch of times but cardiovascularly, I felt fine. I'm excited I didn't lose my endurance. I read three magazines and watched tons of TV. After resting, I headed to my mothers to help her with the Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) dinner. My mother made her mother's famous Brisket, her grandmothers candied chicken thighs, Kugel, Jello Mold, Carrot Ring cake thingie, brussel sprouts and matzah ball soup. The star of the day was my cousin's baby, Zoe. She is the cutest.

My dinner started with Matzah Ball soup, mmm this soozed my sore throat.

And then a full dinner plate of just about everything. Don't worry, I only ate half.
And with all the playing, Zoe was tired by 8pm!
Here are my mom's families recipes for tasty brisket and chicken!

Lucille's Famous Brisket

Ingredients:
Flat Beef Brisket
Soy Sauce
Onion Mix
Mushrooms
Water

Put brisket and baking pan, sprinkle with onion mix and soy sauce, cover completely and "cook it to death." (Mom's quote). Leave the fat on and cook for 2-3 hours until you can put a fork in it and its really soft. When that happens, take it out and put it on a cutting board, scrub off the fat with a fork or knife but make sure to leave the onion soup mix (scrape off mix into juice), then slice against the grain and put back in the juices in the pan. You can do this the day before.
Then add the raw mushrooms and some water and cook with cover for 1/2 hour and without cover for another 1/2 hour or until browned. Baste it as you go like you do a turkey.

My nana has been cooking this recipe for years. Last year, my MOH Ori's brother who now lives in Chicago was at his friends house celebrating the New Year. He started eating the brisket and recognized the flavor so asked his friend where he got the recipe. The friend said "some women in Nebraska named Lucille." My grandmothers recipe is FAMOUS!!

My mom also cooks chicken thighs until they taste like candy. They are A-MAZING!

Candied Chicken Thighs with Carmelized Onions

Ingredients:
Chicken Thighs
Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Sweet Onions

Spray oven proof pan and add the chicken thighs. Sprinkle chicken with onion soup mix. Saute in Onions in EVOO until they carmelize then add to the chicken. Put chicken in th oven with foil at 350 for an hour to an hour and a half. Then pour off the juice and put back in oven without the cover and if you have to turn over the chicken so both sides get browned. Add back in some of the juice if it dries out.

And that's it! I have a 5 miler planned for this afternoon and lots of cooking. But trying to feel better first... ahhh the never-ending sickness!

No comments:

Post a Comment