Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

That is my least favorite Sportscenter expression but I it kinda works for the title of this blog entry. I made lots of chicken dishes! I dislike lots of expressions sports anchors use but that one pretty much takes the cake. For those of you who don't know, I wake up to Sportscenter and SportsDesk every morning. I kinda feel like my day isn't complete if I don't know what happened in yesterdays sports world. I do turn to the Today Show during commercials... okay on to food...

Here is a picture of Sunday nights dinner. I bought these pinwheels and just cooked them in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.
Monday night I made Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Stuffed with Monterey Jack Cheese. And its as simple as that. I took chicken breasts, made a slit at the top and the bottom and slid in the cheese. Then I wrapped the prosciutto around the chicken and seared it in a hot skillet. I seared it on both sides for about 5 minutes then transferred it to a baking dish and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes. I paired this with a salad.

In addition, I decided to make the rest of the chicken I had in the fridge, which was about 2 pounds. (What can I say? I love when Chicken goes on sale!) I made Panko-Crusted Chicken with Maple Mustard Pan Sauce from this months Bon Apetit. The one thing I did differently was I threw the Chicken back in with the sauce before it reduced so the panko on my chicken got soggy and then crispier as the sauce got thicker. I was worried at first but it ended up being a very yummy sweet taste that we enjoyed on Tuesday night. Tuesdays nights dinner consisted of the reheated chicken, swiss chard and brown rice from the lunches I made along with a salad with Annie's Goddess Dressing.

Tonight, I made Tomato Soup and Crispy Cheese Crutons.
I will post the recipe in the morning... but it included a little too many of these...

I mentioned this before, but I used one of these chipotles a few weeks ago and I've been trying to finish it up ever since. (I've been keeping it in the fridge in an air tight container). I love these peppers, but wish they came in a can half the size. Okay, here is the recipe for Spicy Tomato Soup.. and by spicy, I mean insanely spicy...

Ingredients:
-3 Large Fresh Tomatoes
-3 cups of Chicken Broth
-2 Chipotles in Adobo and their sauce
-1 clove of garlic
-1 medium red onion
-1/2 Cup of Light Cream
-Oregano, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste

First thing to do is remove the skin from the tomatoes. To do this, I used a three-step process I found online. Score an "X" in the bottom of the tomato and place in boiling water for 1 minute. Place the tomatoes into ice water. Starting at the "X," pull off the skin. It came off so easily!!! Easy peasy technique. While I did that, I sauted the onions and garlic in a soup pot with EVOO. Then I sliced up the peeled tomatoes, and added them in while stirring. I added 2 peppers (CAUTION, only use one, the soup was beyond spicy!), the spices and the chicken broth and I let it come up to a boil. When it was done boiling, I lowered it to a simmer and grabbed my favorite kitchen gadget- the immersion blender and blended it up. Last but not least, I added the cream and lots of salt and pepper.

I also made cheesey toast to go along side the soup. All I did was throw some monterey jack cheese slices on top of the bread and throw into the broiler for about 7 minutes.

I received a jacket from Children's Hospital in the mail tonight! It's an awesome windbreaker and perfect to run in when its lightly raining. I was given this jacket because I raised $1500 before October 15th.

Truth is, I've already raised $3K before Oct. 15th! I have my fundraiser tomorrow night and any money I make tomorrow will be extra...

Also, today has been a full week since I've run. I've been going to physical therapy and I was basically told that my legs are having so many issues because I have weak hips. So I'll take a couple more days off and run Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Today I took spinning for the first time in probably 6 months. It was such an amazing class and I love this instructor!! Tomorrow I have PT again and I am going to ask if I can run Friday. Whatever she says, I'm definitely getting out there this weekend!

1 comment: