Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Funday!

20 MILES!!!!!
I haven't run all week due to pain in my left achilles, but my Physical Therapist checked it out twice and he thought I'd be fine to run so I took his word for it. If you're a new reader, I see an amazing Physical Therapist who has run the Boston Marathon 26 years in a row.  So yeah, I trust he knows what he is talking about.  He basically told me that I have no risk of tearing my achilles and that my injury is common; to try to start really slow in the run and to try not to stop.  I went twice this week and in some ways, I felt like he was telling me to "Man Up." So I did.
We started out running from my friend Nancys house.  Before I left, I snapped some photos. I wanted to show you what I bring on a typical run.  Luckily I have these awesome Nike spandex with a huge side pocket.
In the side pocket I have my iPod, IB Profin, and a packet of Jelly Sport Beans.
In addition, I bring my Nathan handheld water holder filled with Jellies, Cash for Water, and shot blocks.
I usually wear this on my arm until I buy water, but I decided to carry water the whole time today, filling up twice at Mile 12 and Mile 17. And here are our stats:

20 Miles. 3:14:45. 9:44min/mile
Mile 1: 9:14
Mile 2: 9:23
Mile 3: 9:07
Mile 4: 9:08
Mile 5: 9:08
Mile 6: 9:25 
(Nancy stopped to buy water- stopped watch)
Mile 7: 9:07
Mile 8: 9:07
Mile 9: 9:19
Mile 10: 9:17
Mile 11: 9:23
Mile 12: 10:59
(Oh yes, huge hill here, I started to die, told the girls to go ahead, got my ipod out, drank water, had lots of jellies, didn't stop watch)
Mile 13: 9:36
Half MARATHON: 2:03
Mile 14: 9:28
Mile 15: 10:01
Mile 16: 10:02
Mile 17: 10:03
Mile 18: 10:26
Mile 19: 10:45
Mile 20: 11:37
(stopped to talk to hubby- he ran by me- didn't shut off my watch- trying to get in that habit since you can't stop the clock in the marathon)
So what happened?  What usually happens to me after 16 miles... I died. I was tired.  My left Achilles didn't feel great.  But I conquered 20, 8 of which by myself.  So I'm proud of myself despite the crazy all over the place splits. We somehow messed up our route and started heading back at Mile 12 which meant the route would be really short.  At Mile 12, I also told my running partners to leave me... I didn't feel like I could hold onto the under 9:10 minute pace and I wanted to prepare myself to run alone since Nancy and Leslie are running different marathons. Anyway, when I passed the street to turn to go back to Nancy's, I was only at 15.5 miles.  I already had it in my head that I wanted to run 20 so I decided to run to my house because I knew it would be pretty close to 20.  Unfortunately when I passed my street I was only at 19.5 so I basically ran in circles until I hit 20.  But I finished!
Before and After Photos:
6 am and 10am!
And after I got home, I had 40 minutes to shower, ice, stretch and get ready for...  
My friend Stephanie's work has tickets in the EMC box and invited Dave and I. The box, the game, the food and views were amazing!
My friend Dana works for the Patriots and she stopped by too!
Welkers touchdown- he's in!
Okay... now to talk about the food.  It was sooo impressive.  There were so many stations with SO MUCH FOOD.  Salads, fruit, cheese, chicken fingers, mac n cheese, steak tips, lobster rolls, clam chowder. And my plate:
Lunch with a view.  Can't beat that.  And then.... are you ready??? They brought out a "dessert cart."
The Patriots don't mess around.
The game was a blast even though I was hobbling around.  And it was even better that our team WON!
What a Sunday! Plus New Jersey Shore, VMAs and Mad Men : )


  1. Wow, you made it through 20 miles after having a rough week - good for you! I wish I could go to PT like you. Long story short, I have terrible health insurance.

    I would have eaten one of everything off that dessert cart after 20 miles...

  2. LOVE that dessert cart. Looks incredible! What a fun day!

  3. 20... 2-0... awesome!!!

  4. Great job on your run! Holy hell that's a lot of miles. Your a rock star.

    Your lucky to have such generous friends! What a cool day!

  5. Great job on the run! Sorry your achilles hurt, but at least you were able to do it! Congrats!

    And I grew up going to all NY Giants home games, and I have never seen food like that! Fancy ;)

  6. Congrats!!!!!! I can't even fathom running that many miles and at that pace. You did incredibly well. I'm especially impressed with the last 8 miles since well, they are obviously the hardest and you ran them by yourself. Awesome!!!
    The first half I did, after getting out of the medical tent and getting myself back, I had to rush home, shower and go to the Sox game because I got these amazing tickets from work that I couldn't just waste. It was actually the perfect way to enjoy the rest of the day. I think you agree :)

  7. Holy EMC level. Its making the chicken fingers we normally eat look sad. Killer job on the 20 miles; you are my running hero!

  8. Dang!!! You go girl!!!!!! Looks like the game was so fun in the box seats!

  9. Liz, great work on the 20 miles. That is exactly what you need to be doing in prep for NYC- mental toughness of being out there and the physical endurance bit as well. I love living vicariously through you as you train for the marathon, especially since NYC was my first- I just adore that race!

  10. Congrats on your 20 miler and a fun Sunday at Gillette!

    I am so impressed with your run and toughing through the pain of your achilles. Hope to run with you soon!

  11. What a fun way to watch the game!!

    And I can't believe you were able to conquer 20 miles. Wow!

  12. Wow, you had a busy Sunday!!! Congrats on the 20 miles!! :)


  13. So glad you found my blog so I could find yours! It's great to connect with other Boston area running/blogging lovers :) Congrats on the first 20-miler! Looks like your training is going well. And you have some wonderful looking recipes!