Monday, September 6, 2010

NYC Marathon Training Week 10

This week started off well and then on Thursday I felt a different kind of pain.  One that is kinda scary. After deciding to defer my number last year for NY and realizing if I had the right Physical Therapist I probably could have run, I'm not freaking out quite yet.  The week started off with 4.5 miles with my friend Meg. Tuesday I overslept so I pushed off speed until Wednesday.  Wednesday I did 3X1 miles at 10K pace with 400 rest.  My hamstring hurt during this run so I went over to Physical Therapy after I got off the treadmill. Jake took a look at my leg and told me it was a common sprain in long-distance runners and wasn't a big deal.  I left feeling relieved.  Thursday morning I jumped on the treadmill and within the first step, my left heel/ankle/achilles was hurting.  I got off the treadmill at 1.5 miles, rolled it using the foam roller then tried to jump back on the treadmill.  It was still in pain so I decided to stop and do the eliptical. I just hoped for the best.  Took Friday off from running and then ran from my house to Nancy's Saturday morning.  My house to Nancy's is 4.5 miles. (Nancy did 20 on the treadmill on Friday so she only wanted to do 6-8 on Saturday). I felt a little pain in the same area on the run to Nancys but I hoped I would shake it off.  Usually it takes me 4+ miles to get into a run.  Once I met up with Nancy, we were running along, and I was trying to pretend the pain wasn't there.  When we hit 9 miles, I had to stop and we had to walk the remaining mile back to Nancy's. It was so painful. 

I've now been icing for three days and I'm still limping a bit.  There is also a small bump where my heel meets my ankle.  I cannot wait to go to Physical Therapy tomorrow and figure out what I did!  I'm pretty sure I just need to take it easy for a few days. I hope its nothing serious! But the bump thing definitely scares me!

Week of 8/30-9/4
Date: Monday August 30 
Route/Workout:  Charles River Run with Meg 
Mileage: 4.5 miles 
Total Time: 41:38
Avg Pace: 9:15

Date: Wednesday Sept 1
Route/Workout: Speed Treadmill
Mileage: 6 miles
Total Time: 60 min
1 mile 10 min
1 mile 7:55
400 Rest
1 mile 7:50
400 Rest
1 mile 7:46
1.5 mile cooldown
6 miles TOTAL 60 min.

Date: 9.02.10 (best date ever!!!)
Route/Workout:  Treadmill
Mileage: 1.5 miles- pAIN
Total Time: 

Date: Saturday Sept 4
Route/Workout: Outside
Mileage: 10 miles
Total Time: 8.76 running- 1:19:56/ 9:08 pace, then 1 + mile walk
Mile 1: 8:35
Mile 2: 9:04
Mile 3: 9:09
Mile 4: 9:03
Mile 5: 9:03
Mile 6: 9:00
Mile 7: 9:03
Mile 8: 9:13
As you can tell, we were making great time until my leg started killing : (  The pain is right where my shoe hits my heel.

TOTAL MILEAGE: 22 Miles

6 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh, the bump part is scary! I hope you're okay. I'm trying to convince myself resting is the best option for injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully, some rest and ice is all you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lizzy, I am so scared for you! My fingers are crossed and I hope you're ok. I am so nervous about getting hurt now too. I hope PT goes well tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Injuries stink. I hope you can get it figured out and get in the appropriate rest time without setting you back. Praying it'll all be fine.

    On another note, those times on the Saturday run look awesome. That is my goal time for somewhere maybe 2 years down the road. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh, as a former marathoner (one-time), i feel your pain. My knees still give me issues 3 years later. Training for such a long race is a great experience and it stinks when our bodies don't cooperate. Hope your recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete