Sunday, May 8, 2011

Burgers and Babies

I already wrote this entire post and blogger deleted it.  Depressing!

Well because I've been in a rut in the kitchen, I decided to have another theme week.  This week I went with burgers.  Specifically, burgers I've had jotted down in my menu-planning notebook but have yet to cook.  The first I found in the book was Cara's Brie Stuffed Turkey Fig Burgers.  I changed quite a bit about this recipe but the idea is all Cara- mixing sweet figs with melty brie cheese and healthy turkey is a win-win. My husband and I loved this burger!
I know I know, flash photography- but it was late by the time we ate!
Brie Stuffed Turkey Fig Burgers
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dried figs chopped (if fresh figs are in season, use those!)

1 cup Pom Juice (Cara used Marsala wine- I had a bunch of pom juice from the boston expo and didn't feel like opening a bottle... so I went with pom juice and it worked wonderfully!)
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup minced shallot or purple onion
freshly ground salt & pepper
1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
 brie cheese, without rind, cut into 1 inch pieces
Fresh arugula
Hamburger rolls of choice
Instructions:
Combine the figs and pom juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until the liquid is almost entirely reduced (about 10-15 minutes.)  - I think I cooked a little too long since most of my liquid evaporated : (.  I also used half of the mixture inside the burgers.
Meanwhile, heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Combing the ground turkey with the shallot or onion, salt and pepper, and Herbs de Provence and half of the fig mixture (cool it first) Form the mixture into four patties. Take half of one patty and stuff 1 inch piece of brie in the center.  
Enclose with the remaining meat mixture and place on the pan. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning halfway through, until meat is no longer pink in the center. Place some arugula on the bottom half of each roll, and top with a burger and half of the fig-pom sauce.


I mean look at that cheese melting out of this burger!  It was sooooo good : )
Burger 2: Chicken Apple Sausage Boats.  I got the inspiration for this dish from Taste of Home, a cooking magazine my cousin had lying around her house that I perused through when I stayed with her for the National Half Marathon.  I jotted down the ingredients for this dish but luckily found the recipe online on a site called Noble Pig. Their site made this dish look absolutely gorgeous.  Oh and they served it for breakfast.  I made it for dinner.  Basically this dish combines the sweetness of apples with the spiciness of cayenne and chicken/pork.  The best part is you get to put a runny egg on top!  But you need to create a deep well.  Something I did not do very well- ha a pun!  Otherwise your egg will most definitely runneth over.
Chicken-Apple Sausage BoatsAdapted from Cuisine at Home and Noble Pig
Ingredients:

1/2 pound ground chicken
1/2 pound of pork
2 Pink Lady apple, grated
1cup minced onion
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
3 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 eggs
4 buns or bagels
Instructions:

Combine chicken, pork, apple, onion, brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon parsley, salt, black pepper and cayenne in a bowl; divide into four equal portions. Shape each sausage portion into a 1" thick patty, then press a 2" wide well in the middle of each patty, leaving a thin layer on the bottom of the patty. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high.  Add patties, well side down and cook until browned, about 4-minutes; turn over. Gently crack an egg into the well of each patty.  Cover pan and cook over medium-low heat until egg whites are set and yolks begin to thicken, about 7 minutes ( I probably cooked too long).
Serve over a toasted bun and garnish with remaining parsley and salt and pepper to taste.  We also liked it with hot sauce.


Cut in half and let the egg ooze out in deliciousness.  I mean is there anything better than a runny egg?  Is there?  I don't think so!
One of my best friends Dana begs to differ though.  Whenever I make her eggs, she also asks for them "not to pee on her."  Classy D.  Classy.


The next burger was a combination between Emeril's Spicy Turkish Burgers and a White Bean Burger.  I added store bought tzatziki sauce and made a side salad of cucumber, tomato and red onion mixed with greek seasoning, red wine vinegar and olive oil!  And I served the burger in a pita.  Yum!
Spicy Turkish Chicken and Bean Burgers
Ingredients:
1/2 pound ground chicken 
1/2 pound ground pork
1 can of Cannelini Beans, lightly mashed
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Spray olive oil
Pita bread and tzatziki sauce for serving

Instructions:
In a large bowl combine chicken, pork, beans, egg whites, bread crumbs, onion, parsley, garlic, salt and spices. Mix gently until well blended. Divide the seasoned meat into 4 portions. Flatten slightly.To a large nonstick saute pan over medium high heat, spray a thin layer of olive oil. Slide the chicken patties in one at a time. Cook for 10 minutes total, about 5 on each side. Serve with pita bread and tzatziki sauce.

Oh, I also promised you babies in the title right?  I visited two of the cutest babies around this weekend.  Here's Owen...
 Who is almost walking!!  Go Owen Go!
 And I got to meet Gretchen's new bundle of joy!  Gretchen delivered last Sunday and her baby is adorable!  I was so happy I was able to meet baby Fausto!  Even if he was sleeping the whole time : )
I look good with the baby : )
Those were the dishes of the week!  Don't worry I will soon post about my running too... I ran 5X this week!  The most I've ever run in awhile in a single week- but I never went over 5 miles.  Still in marathon recovery for another month or so...

So tell me... what's your favorite burger recipe?  Link it to me- I will have to make it : )

Oh, I'll pick the five winners of the Jamba Natural Energy Drink on my next post! Enter today before it's too late!

15 comments:

  1. burgers looks great, babies look adorable. I heard Fausto told GBG he was excited to be on the blogs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...congrats to your friend.

    These burgers are so creative and look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look perfect holding a baby! Your friends have some adorable children. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those turkey burgers with the brie and figs sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, those burger's look delish! Also, Gretchen looks fantastic and her baby is SO CUTE!! Congrats to her & her hubby. :) Looks like it was a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the variety! Every one sounds so unique and delicious. I think I'd be burgered out though ;)
    Someone is ready for babies... lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg, brie stuffed turkey fig burgers, omg. So many of my favorite things I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW. I have no good recipes but am totally using some of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love the idea of stuffing a turkey burger with brie and fig... But with an egg?! Even better! I just had a turkey burger for dinner but it was super boring compared to these :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I can say that the burgers LOOK pretty fancy. I'm impressed by your creativeness :)

    But more importantly - those babies are adorable!! Congrats to your friend! Little Fausto looks good on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those burgers look INSANE!! Fig? Brie? Runny egg? Tzatziki? I mean, those are all my favorites! Get out here and make these for me NOW.

    Litte Fausto is too cute and G and D look exhausted :) But SO happy. Kisses to them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh that baby is adorable!!

    Now I'm craving burgers, especially given how nice the weather is. The chicken ones sound delicious - I love pink lady apples. I don't have one to link to you right now but I'm actually planning to make veggie burgers with lentils tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fausto is so happy to be on the blog! And yes, Anne, we are exhausted. Lizzy, will you please come over and make me all of these burgers? They look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you liked the burgers - and I'm so so so excited about this chicken sausage and egg "burger"! That is so up our alley.

    I have to say, our favorite turkey burgers are Thai Peanut Turkey Burgers on my blog. They appear in an old post, but I actually plan to update with new pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete