Monday, July 13, 2009

Bridal Shower/9 Miles/Big Cooking Monday



Stephanie's Bridal Shower was so much fun and a definite success! I forgot to take a lot of the pictures of the food, but I made Guac, the Pepper dip I made on Saturday and some hummus. I also made a Baked Brie with Strawberry Jelly and Almonds inside wrapped in puff pastry. I also made a ton of Sangria- 4 bottles of Riesling, Ginger Ale, Sugar and tons of fruit. Stef got tons of great gifts and it was a beautiful day. The bridesmaids are all together up above!

This morning I woke up early, 6am and took the train into the city to run at the gym. I was very happy with my run and I think I ran so well because I started off much slower than I usually do. Here are my stats:


Date7 /13/2009
RouteTreadmill
Distance9.00 mi
Time1:19:30
Pace0:08:50/mile

For dinner tonight, I planned quite the feast! I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen and wanted to try it out. I also wanted to incorporate more vegetarian meals in my diet.

Leek and Swiss Chard Tart
Modified from Bon Appetit

Ingredients:
-puff pastry sheet
-2 tablespoons of butter
-3 large leeks
-a big bunch of rainbow swiss chard
-1 cup of whipping cream
-1/4 cup of skim milk
-3 large eggs
-2 egg yolks
-1 tablespoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
-pinch of ground nutmeg
-1/8 cup of Feta Cheese
-1/8 cup of Mozzarella Cheese

Roll out pastry and transfer to a 9 inch glass pie dish. Turn on oven to 425. Trim overhang to 1 inch and folder under and crimp edges. Then melt butter in skillet and add leeks until tender. Then add swiss chard and wilt down. Whisk cream and then next 6 ingredients. Then start compiling the tart. First put a layer of cheese on the pastry dough, then add the leeks and swiss chard, then add one more layer of cheese and add the egg/milk mixture over top. Bake in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 350 for another 10-15 minutes. Cool for ten minutes and enjoy!



I served this along with a side salad with Goddess Dressing. I may have had seconds on this! The original recipe didn't call for any cheese, but I couldn't imagine making this without cheese and honestly I think the cheese made the dish!

I also made more cookies FROM scratch! This time I made Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip, Coconut COOKIES and they were awesome!

Ingredients:
1 stick of butter
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of light brown sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups of oats
10 ounces of chocolate chips
1/2 cup of coconut

Preheat over to 350F. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the sugars, salt and vanilla, and beat until well mixed, then stir in eggs, one at a time. The mix the flour, baking soda and spices in another bowl. Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed. Then add the second half and incorporate. Then stir in the oats, chocolate chips and coconut and form balls onto cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Here is what we have!

Its way past my bedtime! good night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment