Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Delicious (Not-so-Healthy) Dinners

So my foot was ridiculously itchy yesterday and I never made it out for my run. So Monday was ANOTHER day off. I'm gonna pay for that later in the week.

Monday night, I got off the train ready to start cooking. Inspired by this month's Everday Food by Martha Stewart, I cooked Pork Tenderloin with Bacon and Cabbage. Let me caveat this recipe by saying, a) the pictures don't do it justice b) this meal is categorized in the "moderation" list. Dave asked after we finished eating it if I was going to write this as a "healthy" meal. And truth is pork on pork never hurt anyone and eating something this good in moderation is worth it! Here's what I did:

Pork Tenderloin with Bacon and Cabbage

Ingredients:
-1lb Pork Tenderloin, nicely seasoned with salt and pepper
-4 strips of bacon, chopped
-1 medium onion
-2 large leeks
-1 green cabbage, sliced
-3 tablespoons of flour
-2 cups of skim milk (this is where I saved lots of fat, the original recipe called for whole)
-1/4 cup of cream

Instructions:
Heat EVOO on hot skillet and add full pork to sear on both sides. Once seared, remove and cut into medallions. Meanwhile, add the leeks, cabbage and onion to pan and let cook until tender. Then add the flour and stir until coated. Add milk and cook until thickened then nestle the pork chops in sauce. Transfer pan to hot oven for 10 minutes and let the pork cook through.

Here's what it looked like when it came out of the oven:

And my plate, served with a side salad:

Closeup of the pork next. Again, I wish you could really understand how tasty this was....

On to today.... well I was able to get out during lunch and run a pretty easy 6 in exactly 52 minutes.


Date8 /18/2009
RouteTreadmill
Distance6.00 mi
Time52:00
Pace08:40/mile

For dinner, I modifed another recipe in Martha's everyday Food Magazine. I decided to make Turkey Meatloaf with Assorted Vegetables.

Ingredients:
-1 package of portobello mushrooms
-2 large leeks, thinly sliced
-1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
-2 roasted red peppers, diced
-1 big bunch of kale
-1 small shallot
-1 pound 93% fat free ground turkey
-1 large egg
-1 and 1/2 cups of bread crumbs
-1/4 cup of gouda

Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add leeks, mushrooms, peppers, shallots and kale. Cook for 5-7 minutes. In a mixing bowl, add the egg whisked and add the turkey and bread crumbs. Once cool, add the skillet mixture. Season with salt and pepper and add cheese. Then form with your hands a 10 inch loaf. Put on baking sheet lined wtih parachment paper and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.

In addition, I also made Tomatoes Provencal.

All I did was slice thinly two large tomatoes and add breadcrumbs, grated parmesan and mozzerela, thyme, salt and pepper and olive oil. I put the tomatoes in a baking dish, then added the breadcrumb mixture and baked for 15 minutes.

Here's what our leftovers look like, this is probably the best pic I have of this dish and I know its not great : (
Oh, so while the oven was hot, I decided to also make a Quiche with the leftover vegetables I made for the turkey meatloaf. I filled the pie crust with the assorted veggies, then added 1/2 cup of skim milk, 1/2 cup of cream and 1/4 cup of sour cream with two eggs, and lots of cheese oh... I also added bacon. I cooked this for about 30 minutes.


And now I have laundry to fold and its way past my bedtime!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment