Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday 5am Wakeup call & Lots of Food

Hello! I woke up this morning around 5 and got ready to run! Picked up Nancy at 5:45 and headed to Wellesley. We ran about 8 miles then circled back to our cars where we were supposed to meet up with the group, but unfortnately, they didn't show up so we continued on for another 6 and did 14 miles. It was one of those days that I felt very very strong. I think it's because we were sleeprunning the first few miles so we went very slow.

When I got home, I showered then rested until 1pm! Then it was time to start cooking. The first thing I made was Ricotta Quiche with Veggies.

Ingredients:
1 Pre-Bought Pie Crust- follow directions to bake before filling
Red Onion, Red Pepper, Green Pepper, Green Onions, all sliced lengthwise and sauted
1 package of froZEN spinach defrosted and squeezed excess water out
1/4 cup of mexican blend cheese
1/8 cup of feta cheese
1 cup of Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup of Milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons of dijon

Saute veggies and add defrosted spinach. Mix eggs, ricotta and milk together. Add in dijon and cheeses. Cook the pie crust for ten minutes at 400. Then fill it with the veggies and pour the ricotta, egg mixture on top. Cook for 30-40 minutes at 350.

I'm bringing this to work tomorrow!

For dinner, I decided to copy my friend Gretchen and made Poached Salmon and Pesto Potato Salad. What can I say, it looked too good on her page to miss out on!

Here's what I did. I boiled a combination of white wine, water, lemon juice, shallots and lots of salt and pepper. When it started to boil, I put it down to simmer and cut the fish in four small fillets. Then I threw them in for about ten minutes. When I took them out, I sprinkled some S&P and more lemon juice.

I also made a Pesto Potato Salad by dicing 3 potatoes into small pieces. I added them to boiling water and cooked for ten minutes. Then I strained the water and mixed the potatoes with a combination of store bought pesto, a scoop of dijon and 1/4 cup of sour cream. Sounds weird? It was actually really tasty.

And of course, I needed my greens so I sauted some Rainbow Chard with EVOO, S&P and Garlic.



And I finally got around to making the Raspberry Yogurt Cake that I adapted from Bon Appetit. I've been wanting to make this cake for weeks, but you need to cook it for an hour and ten minutes and I haven't had the time.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour, I used two cups of whole wheat, 1 white
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 2 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (two 6-ounce containers)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon (or more) water

Preparation


  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl.

  • Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy. Beat in orange juice, 1 teaspoon almond extract, and orange peel. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Mix in yogurt.

  • Add dry ingredients to batter and beat just until blended. Toss 1/2 cup flour and raspberries in large bowl. Fold berry mixture into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pan; smooth top.

  • Toss 1/2 cup flour and raspberries in large bowl. Fold berry mixture into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pan; smooth top.

  • Bake cake until wooden skewer inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes.

  • Whisk powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in medium bowl. Add more water by 1/2 teaspoonfuls as needed for thick glaze. Drizzle over cake. Let stand until glaze sets.

And now its Yankee Red Sox time and bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment