Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Yummy Foods

Started off Tuesday morning with some oats microwaved with water for 45 seconds, mixed with strawberry yogurt and raspberries.

For mid morning snack, I had this fruit leather.


For lunch I ate some cottage cheese (not this whole thing, don't worry), some strawberries and my wrap I made before- the contents are in yesterdays blog. I'm eating these all week so I won't be taking any more pictures of lunch!

For dinner, I tried something new and different. I was in the mood for something interesting and I was inspired by two recipes I saw in Everyday with Martha Stewart.

The first was for a Salmon Salad. I had just bought canned Salmon from Whole Foods so I combined that with Red Onion and Sauteed Spinach. I took half of that mixture and decided to make Salmon Cakes. I combined the Salmon, Red Onion, and Spinach with one egg and bread crumbs. Then I formed patties and grilled! It was super tasty! I made a dressing of Red Wine Vinegar, EVOO, Oregano and Mustard. I plated the dish with Israeli Cous Cous, the salmon salad and the cakes on the side. Then I poured the dressing over top.


On Wednesday night, I knew I had Ground Turkey to cook, but I wasn't sure what to make. So I googled "Ground Turkey" and Enchiladas popped up. I looked up tons of recipes- close to ten and I copied and pasted them into a word document and read them all on my commute home. When I got home, I decided to combine a bunch of them together into my perfect enchilada! Here's what I did:

Ground Turkey Spicy Enchiladas with Enchilada Sauce:

1 lbs ground turkey
1/2 Onion, diced
1 clove garlic
1 cups salsa
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 of green bell pepper diced
1 pkg wheat flour tortillas
2 cups Mexican blend cheese (I used Soy Cheese, blend of 'Mozzarella' and ‘Cheddar')
ground cumin to taste
2 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
1 4 ounce container of diced jalepenos

Enchilada Sauce

1 Tablespoon of Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon of Flour
1/8 Cup of Tomato Paste
1 Tablespoon og Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon of Oregano
1 Cup of Chicken Broth
A good couple squeezes of Srichi Hot Sauce (I like it extra hot and spicy!)
1/8 Cup of Catalina Dressing


Instructions:

First, soften the onion, garlic, tomatoes, and peppers in saute pan for about 8 minutes. Then take off the heat. Then, brown the ground turkey. When browned, add the veggies back in and then add the spices and salsa. Once combined, start the process of making the enchiladas. I took some cheese out of the package and had my tortillas ready to go. I added the cheese to the tortillas then spooned a big mixture of the turkey filling in the tortilla. I rolled it and put the open side bottom up. Then I baked for 15 minutes at 400. While this was in the oven, I made the Enchilada Sauce. Check out the prep!


The Enchilada Sauce I made by combining the Canola Oil, Flour, Tomato Paste, Chili Powder, Oregano, Chicken Broth, and Catalina Dressing and then letting it bubble away for ten minutes. When the Enchiladas were done, I took them out of the oven, added the sauce over them and sprinkled the cheese on top and baked for 5 minutes longer. And here's the final result!


I also made Kale Chips from Gretchens page. They were a nice addition! And I made my famous tasty guacomole dip to sprinkle on top of my enchiladas.







No comments:

Post a Comment